Cherry stout

Please gimme some great cherry stout (all grain) recipes. Thanks!

I’m bottling a sweet cherry stout tomorrow. That recipe is designed for sour/choke cherries which you’ll have to find when they’re in season. What kind of flavor are you going for? Mild, potent? There’s a really good cherry-bourbon stout recipe out there… we might need specifics.

Just goin’ for a bit of a sour-cherry element to complement a semidry stout. Don’t wanna get too complicated by adding bourbon, etc

Here’s Papazian’s Cherry Fever Stout. He swears by it… but he does that with every other beer in the book o_O

6.6 lbs. Plain dark malt extract syrup
1 lb. plain dark dried malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt
1/2 lb. roasted barley
1/2 lb. black patent malt
1 1/2 oz. northern brewer hops (boiling)
1/2 oz. Willamette hops (finishing)
4 tsp. gypsum
3lbs. Sour cherries, crushed (do not crush pits)
2 lbs. choke cherries, " "
American ale-type yeast

O.G. 1.064-1.068
F.G. 1.018-1.026
Bitterness 35 IBU

Add crushed crystal and black malt and roasted barley to 1 1/2 gallons water and steep @150-160 F for 30 minutes. Remove grains with strainer. Add extracts, gypsum, boiling hops and boil for 60 minutes. Then use strainer to remove as much of boiling hops as possible. Rinse/sparge hops. Add 5 pounds of crushed cherries to the boiling wort. Let cherries steep for 15 minutes at a temp between 160-180 (their addition should cool the wort. Do not boil.

Add finishing hops after the 15 minutes are up. Pour entire contents of wort without sparging into a sanitized plastic fermenter with cold water to make 5 gallons. Pitch yeast. Allow 5 days primary fermentation then remove as much of the floating hops and cherries from the fermenter “as humanly possible.”

Rack the beer into a secondary. Avoid siphoning sediment. Attach air lock and continue fermentation. Bottle when it’s complete.

I hope that is helpful. I had a hell of a time finding the right cherries around the area so I just went with 5 lbs. sweet cherries. Still awaiting the results, but I will say that I’m not nearly as excited about this beer now that it’s not going to have all those sour qualities (little tasters here and there during gravity readings have sort of confirmed this).
:cheers:

[/quote] I had a hell of a time finding the right cherries around the area so I just went with 5 lbs. sweet cherries. Still awaiting the results, but I will say that I’m not nearly as excited about this beer now that it’s not going to have all those sour qualities (little tasters here and there during gravity readings have sort of confirmed this).
:cheers: [/quote]

I had the same problem, finding sour cherries, so I planted a couple of sour cherry trees.

You, sir, are a badass.

Only a little. My wife and I bought a house with our daughter, son-in-law and grandkids, we have the downstairs and they have the up. The son-in-law works for UPS, but used to be a certified arborist and he takes care of all the gardening type stuff, except for my hops. The grandkids are old enough to be put to work picking fruit and helping to process it.

Thanks for the help. For Your stout, if you’re wanting at least a hint of sourness, purchase Acid Blend and add it to taste, at any time in the fermentation process