Cherry beer ideas?

Why would you need to use condition yeast your kegging it right. Condition yeast or cask yeast is for when you bottle or put in a cask and let it naturally carb because the primary yeast has tired out and you want healthy yeast to carb the beer.

1 Like

Actually thats what i thought. Only needed second opinion. Thanks

I did a gravity sample this am and the cherry saison is at 1.002. It tastes really nice so I’m anxious to keg her up. Its been on the cherries 6 days and has a nice red tint and cherry flavor. How long is the generally accepted time frame for leaving it on the cherries?

Up to 6 weeks is pretty good. The flavor can start to fade if you wait too long, and about 6 weeks is the point of diminishing returns in my experience with cherries. Of course you can bottle or keg as soon as the sugars are done fermenting, which happens pretty quick. All depends on your preference, style of beer, and whatnot. If there’s some hop character you want to preserve, I’d package as soon as fermentation is done. Otherwise let 'er sit for awhile and extract as much color and flavor as possible.

Thanks!

Obviously not the most patient guy ever…

Clever use of the kettle lid and burner!

2 Likes

Yeah, with the cherry trub we used our stainless hop basket on the end of the auto siphon, nylon mesh BIAB over both of them and a nylon mesh bag on the discharge. Worked out great. Since we had a bit left over after filling the keg we cannonballed about 1/2 gallon and shot some CO2 in it. Let it “season” for about 5 minutes and poured a taste. Fantastic! Thinking about the blackberries out back and the peaches that are coming on. Thanks @damian_winter !

2 Likes

If you decide to try black berries reduce your first addition of hops cause they are kind bitter and for the peaches they are wonderfully in that same recipe. Also dry hop with some mosaic hops really complement the peaches

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds great!

Rockin’ the Cherry Saison this afternoon.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Peach Saison coming up!

1 Like

My peaches are just about ready. Peach saison sounds interesting. Going to do a peach wine also. Got to find some recipes

Couple of things wrong with this picture… Can you help find them? Sneezles61

No people and no homebrew.

1 Like

How are you preparing your peaches? I like mine just little over ripe. I like to peel all mine and take the pitts out. Then cut them up and freeze them. Then when beer is ready for secondary pasteurize then add to secondary… Now if you just want a hint of peaches like I do my peach wit I pasteurize them and mash them up till almost a puree. Then I freeze them and on brew day I add them to my kettle while I’m chilling but I wait till my temp is around 160 before I add them.

1 Like

I was going to pit them, pasteurize with the skins on, put them in an nylon bag and add them to the primary.

I don’t know Jack about fruit brews, BUT, the brewery in town did a mango, and added it during primary… That flavor didn’t last long at all. Now they add it after its done fermenting… In the Brite tank, and its very good fruit flavor… AND it hangs till the keg kicks… Sneezles61

Mango and peaches need a little more time to than other fruits to contribute flavor in beer. That brewery adding it in the primary wouldn’t have gained much since fructose is fermentible the yeast cleaned up the sugars and would of only been left with a hint of it that like you said faded fast.

3 Likes

Good food for thought. Thanks!