Cherry beer ideas?

Very cool…thanks for sharing!

So tell me, do you guys have the three legged cherry picker ladder sitting in the shed then? Sneezles61

They’re around. Some people still hand pick the little trees or glean cherries by hand.

1 Like

Quoting John Denver: FAR OUT!

1 Like

The LHBS doesn’t carry either of the yeasts mentioned in your recipe. What do you think of either of these as substitutes? Safe Brew X33
Lallemond Abbey
Thanks!

I would go with Lallemond Abbey I’m not a fan of s33 but t58 is great yeast for a saison if they carry it. It’s spicy peppery and fruity if you choose it keep temps low through 80% of fermentation then let rise. It can be very vigorous fermenter and high temps throw alot of banana esters another option is to use a few dregs from your favorite Saison beer like Saison DuPont works really well

Thank you!

What kind of fermentation temperature schedule should I follow for this beer? Thanks!

Good temp range is 68 to 70 degrees then let climb to 75 or so to finish out before your secondary with the cherries

Thank you! It’s about 65-70 in the basement so we’ll see where the temp goes. Does the Abbey yeast tend to ferment not and fast?

Moving ahead on the Cherry Saison. Hope it tastes as good as it smells an looks!

2 Likes

1.042 sg now 1.002. Tasty plain!

So I had a little of this left after I racked the rest onto the cherrries. I cannonballed it plain and force carbed it. Dang it’s good! This is the second beer that my wife, my daughter, and I all like. Thank you again!

Your very welcome. I’m glad everyone like it and am happy to help and share this wonderfully love of beer and brewing with my friends

So just did a sample. And grav test. Nice cherrie. Taste. And a abv of 5% gonna keg it end of august. Its now 4 months old. Only question. Been reading some people use. Condition yeast. As well. But me afraid it will change the flav profile.

Why would you need to use condition yeast your kegging it right. Condition yeast or cask yeast is for when you bottle or put in a cask and let it naturally carb because the primary yeast has tired out and you want healthy yeast to carb the beer.

1 Like

Actually thats what i thought. Only needed second opinion. Thanks

I did a gravity sample this am and the cherry saison is at 1.002. It tastes really nice so I’m anxious to keg her up. Its been on the cherries 6 days and has a nice red tint and cherry flavor. How long is the generally accepted time frame for leaving it on the cherries?

Up to 6 weeks is pretty good. The flavor can start to fade if you wait too long, and about 6 weeks is the point of diminishing returns in my experience with cherries. Of course you can bottle or keg as soon as the sugars are done fermenting, which happens pretty quick. All depends on your preference, style of beer, and whatnot. If there’s some hop character you want to preserve, I’d package as soon as fermentation is done. Otherwise let 'er sit for awhile and extract as much color and flavor as possible.