Champagne yeast VS. "Cider" yeast?

So I noticed that NB offers a liquid “Cider” yeast.
What would be the difference in using this vs. a champagne yeast?

Over the last 2 years I have made 2 batches of cider using the Redstar Champagne yeast packets (Actually I start with a packet of English Ale yeast and after the first racking I add another pound of honey, more boild cider and THEN throw in the packet of Champagne yeast).
My cider turned out really well but much too dry for my tastes. I’ve never bothered measuring the gravity but can tell you that it turns out smooth to the taste but quite high in proof. Even in12oz bottles it’s “one and done for the evening” type drink.

The dryness though … I’m looking for yeast options that might leave a sweeter cider.

Champagne yeast has a very yeasty profile and will take your cider to bone dry. You might try Wyeast 4184 or 4242.

4184 is a good idea. I think I’ll be trying that one next time. It worked great on my sweet mead (go figure).

Have had good results using 4184 for cider. Its one of my favorites.

Most wine yeasts (including champagne yeast) will dry out cider. Ale yeasts work better for keeping some sweetness in it. My one attempt at using a cider yeast (from White labs, can’t remember the number) ended up with too dry a finish.

Thanks all.
I think I might just try that 4184. I wonder how quick NB could get it too me? The cider is taking up a lot of space in the fridge. :wink:

BTW - my quick fix for the overly dry cider … was to pour a little apple juice in my glass full of hard cider. Sweetened it right up!

I guess it is going to depend on your interpretation of an overly dry cider. Don’t let the name of 4184 fool you, its not going to produce a sweet cider. But, its definitely not as dry as using champagne yeast which I have go all the way down to .995 even when racked at 1.025.
If your looking for a sweet cider, you might be better off backsweetening with a nonfermentable.

So I went on over to NB order page for the “Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead” and the one review made me do a search for more internet reviews of the 4184.
What I found was a lot of reviews of all types of liquid, sweet mead yeast that seemed to get stuck.

I don’t know if this is a problem with that sort of yeast … or if the only people who bother to post about their experience with the product are those who had problems with it. :frowning:

The best way to get sweet (or even off-dry) cider is to let it ferment out with whatever yeast, then stabilize with KMeta and KSorbate, then backsweeten with apple juice or sugar. The only problem with that is you can’t make a sparkling cider that way without kegging it.

Using that idea …
If I use champagne yeast and the alcohol level gets up around 10% … won’t that stop (or nearly stop) fermentation by killing off the yeast?

Champagne yeast can ferment up to 18% ABV. There are some wine yeasts that will die off at 12-14%, and many beer yeasts won’t even go that high, but if you then pitch a higher tolerance yeast to add carbonation, it will ferment it out dry again.

[quote=“Gary_EotR”] So I went on over to NB order page for the “Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead” and the one review made me do a search for more internet reviews of the 4184.
What I found was a lot of reviews of all types of liquid, sweet mead yeast that seemed to get stuck.

I don’t know if this is a problem with that sort of yeast … or if the only people who bother to post about their experience with the product are those who had problems with it. :frowning: [/quote]
Most reviews that you see about stuck fermentations with 4184 are when using it in a mead. 4184 requires nutrient additions and most likely they are not doing the proper feedings.

I like the flavor profile that it adds to cider and I have had no issues with stuck ferm. using it in a cider. I’ve even used it for ciders that I have added honey to without issue. Of coarse, I also do nutrient feedings with my ciders as well.

As mentioned before most yeasts will dry your cider out. But, there are different degrees of dryness. I’ve had several cider yeasts remain above 1.000.

I’m using 4184 in the cider I’m making currently. I’ll keep you all posted.