Centennial

I’m thinking I don’t like Centennial Hops. I get a strange plastic flavor and aroma that I just can’t get out of my head. This must be why I’ve always thought Two Hearted Ale is overrated.

On the bright side, that’s one less hop that I need worry about hording after the next harvest.

I know. Blasphemy. More for you I guess. :slight_smile:

Edit: typo.

To each his own. I’m not a huge fan of Simcoe (GASP!!!). I like a little Simcoe to complement American citrus hops like Cascade, amarillo, etc, but not a lot and not by itself. I know some people say they get a citrus flavor, but I get straight up pine. And for me, a little pine goes a long way.

I couldn’t agree more.

Finally got around to brewing a Ballantine-ish beer and I believe Cluster might just be my new favorite hop. Love Centennial though, and Simcoe, but sort of tired of them.

I have used a lot of centennial. I have become quite comfortable with it and maybe into a hop groove. I use a lot of the same hops. Time to branch out.

Same here on being tired of Centennial and Simcoe. I can get a bazillion commercial IPA’s using Cents and Simcoe, but I homebrew to make stuff I can’t just pick up in a store. That’s why I’ve become such a hop hoarder - I want to try all the stuff I can’t just walk into the packy and buy a sixer of. I like them both, and use them in combo with other hops pretty often, but I have no need for a single-hopped APA/IPA using either.

I like the citrus nature of Centennial. My past batch was an IPA with all Cent hops. I am brewing a different IPA this weekend and I decided to push the citrus aroma at the “expense” of true bitterness. To that end, I am going to switch mainly to late additions and dry hopping of Citra hops.

Anyone have any thoughts of Citra vs Centennial or maybe Amarillo?

[quote=“scottNU”]Anyone have any thoughts of Citra vs Centennial or maybe Amarillo?[/quote]Amarillo is a good choice for a SMaSH. Centennial and Amarillo make a fantastic combo - I usually bitter with Centennial and then do a 50/50 mix for late additions and dryhopping. I don’t like Citra for bittering, it adds a stinky gym sock note, but it’s great for late additions and I sometimes use an ounce or so to perk up a keg that just needs a little something.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I also am not a fan of Centennial hops…
In fact, I’m getting a bit tired of American pale ales and IPAs right now.

[quote=“scottNU”]I like the citrus nature of Centennial. My past batch was an IPA with all Cent hops. I am brewing a different IPA this weekend and I decided to push the citrus aroma at the “expense” of true bitterness. To that end, I am going to switch mainly to late additions and dry hopping of Citra hops.

Anyone have any thoughts of Citra vs Centennial or maybe Amarillo?[/quote]
Funny, I get no citrus from Centennial. Mainly floral notes. Maybe a hint of lemon if any citrus.

Have to be careful with Citra. It can lend a dankness/cattiness that a lot of people find off-putting. I did a single-hop with Citra once and I thought the hop profile was too one-noted. I think it works very nicely in blends for late additions and dry-hopping. I blend Citra with Willamette and Cascade in one of my favorite IPAs (Magnum for bittering). I’ve been working on the ratio, which has meant backing down on Citra and stepping up Cascade (both slightly) and this recipe is getting better each time. Nothing wrong with the original modern era American aroma hops!

As much as I don’t like Centennial as the star of the show, I think it would blend nicely with Amarillo. I just tasted my single-hop Galaxy IPA (OK, you caught me, I used Magnum for bittering–but seven ounces of Galaxy after that) the other day after dry hopping and I thought it tasted a lot like a Centennial/Amarillo combo would taste (a little floral with loads of tropical fruit) at a ratio of maybe 25/75 or 33/67. It did not suck.

Edit: fixed typo

I love cents and I love “catty” meeoow!

I really like Cen’s and Simcoe…my 2 favorite hops. :slight_smile: Citra I can live without. I’m not sick on Cen yet…maybe after a year or two.

In my IPA, I ended up using 1oz of Centennial as a FWH and two late additions (10 min and 5 min) of Citra. The early preview taste was promising. I will dry hop for 5 days after primary fermenation is complete.

I was planning to use 2 oz of Citra as the dry hop. Any suggestions or comments on 2 oz of Citra vs 1 oz Citra and 1 oz of another hop TBD?