Centennial and Cascade

Am I wasting time having Cascade and Centennial growing in the hop garden? From what I hear, it is as if they are very much the same. I know this may be a sad question to ask, but most my hops experience tends to be with simcoe, amarillo, with very little exposure to Cascade or Centennial. Excited to have these plants in their second year as I can’t wait to use my own hops.

I love both Centennial and Cascade and do find that they are quite different from each other. I’d keep them and use them for plentiful late hop additions as you will not have the alpha acid % available to use them for bittering.

Centennial has a dank component that Cascade lacks and Centennial has a less-harsh bitterness than Cascade.

Both are different for sure. Might not be a bad idea to start experimenting with more common and easier to find hops. I’m a huge Amarillo fan but they will be scarce this year from what I’ve read.

I think of Centennial as more floral and less citrusy than Cascade.

I hear ya there. I can’t wait to get to the point where not only can i experiment with these hops but also be using my own. I actually figured there would be a hop shortage and picked up simcoe, citra, and amarillo earlier in the year. But definitely want to get better at using the non proprietary types of hops.

I concur.

Stick with cultivating both varieties as they are different enough to warrant time spent for each variety.

I get much more " orange" like flavor out of my centennial , cascade is " lemony, citrus" . My cascade vine is 3x time more vigorous though than the centennial

:cheers:

[quote=“spunky”]I get much more " orange" like flavor out of my centennial , cascade is " lemony, citrus" . My cascade vine is 3x time more vigorous though than the centennial

:cheers: [/quote]

Shows you just how subjective taste is. I get a lot of citrusy/ lemony/ and lime like flavors centennial.

[quote=“spunky”]I get much more " orange" like flavor out of my centennial , cascade is " lemony, citrus" . My cascade vine is 3x time more vigorous though than the centennial

:cheers: [/quote]

Same here. My Cascades always do well, sometimes very well. The Centennials have been spotty. Last year I think I only harvested 5 oz from the Cents, over a lb from the Cascades.

Centennial was bred to a be a “super Cascade,” so there are some similarities. But, there are differences as well. You are not wasting your time by growing both.

Chris Colby
Editor

Furthermore, the plants grow differently and are succeptible/resistant to different pests and diseases. You may find that one grows better than the other on your farm.

Speaking of one growing better than the other. Cascade grows like a crazy a$$ weed. I can’t be stopped, it must grow. Centennial seems to be like, “i’ll grow just a tad, but i’ll give ya a few cones”

BTW, this Heady Topper is awesome!