Cariobou Slobber Final Gravity

So I have a question about final gravity for the Caribou slobber extract kit. This is my second time brewing the kit and I wanted to mix things up a bit. After a week in primary, I added 2 lbs of brown sugar to secondary to boost the final alcohol content. It’s now been 4 weeks in secondary and fermentation marches steadily onward. My original batch finished around 1.020. This batch is now around 1.009 and it is still bubbling. I racked it one week ago, but still it bubbles. Am I going to end with a beer around 1.000? I didn’t think that was really possible.

I used wyeast 1332 liquid yeast. I’m not totally discouraged since I tasted it when I racked it and it still tastes like beer.

I wouldn’t expect it to finish more than a couple of points off of your original batch. 1.009 seems pretty low for that beer, and without an infection, you shouldn’t get down to 1.000. I would take a couple of samples a couple of days apart and see if it’s still going. If you bottle, you should let it stop dropping in gravity before you bottle.

If it were me, and I liked how it tastes now, I’d keg it for fear that it’s got an infection.

[quote=“matteo35”]So I have a question about final gravity for the Caribou slobber extract kit. This is my second time brewing the kit and I wanted to mix things up a bit. After a week in primary, I added 2 lbs of brown sugar to secondary to boost the final alcohol content. It’s now been 4 weeks in secondary and fermentation marches steadily onward. My original batch finished around 1.020. This batch is now around 1.009 and it is still bubbling. I racked it one week ago, but still it bubbles. Am I going to end with a beer around 1.000? I didn’t think that was really possible.

I used wyeast 1332 liquid yeast. I’m not totally discouraged since I tasted it when I racked it and it still tastes like beer.[/quote]
You racked it before it was finished fermenting? Pretty much a No-No. That may have tricked the yeast into rebuilding their mass(lag period) and then finish up fermenting that sugar you added. Next time, leave it in primary until you are sure fermentation is finished.
But having ranted… Have you checked serial SGs? That is the only way you will know she’s finished- two stable readings, 2-3 days apart. Ignore the bubbles, they mean very little.
Good luck! As you know, it will taste great. :cheers:

I would keg it, but that’s not an option. This is why I’ve been interested in those little bubbles. I don’t want any bottle bombs.

So a week ago I took readings for a couple days. They were both around 1.009-1.010. I’m not that greatest hydrometer reader… Anyway, I took another measurement today and it was in the same spot. The plan is to bottle this week and see what it’s like in a couple. I really need that carboy back!

Additionally, I portioned out my sample and I can carbonate it with my soda stream to give it a taste tonight. It smells good and I think the batch will be fine. Thanks for the advice!

[quote=“James Rausch”]
You racked it before it was finished fermenting? Pretty much a No-No. That may have tricked the yeast into rebuilding their mass(lag period) and then finish up fermenting that sugar you added. Next time, leave it in primary until you are sure fermentation is finished.
But having ranted… Have you checked serial SGs? That is the only way you will know she’s finished- two stable readings, 2-3 days apart. Ignore the bubbles, they mean very little.
Good luck! As you know, it will taste great. :cheers: [/quote]

I’m pretty sure it was done fermenting in primary before I racked it. It was around 1.020 FG, with no activity, and this is how my first unfiddled batch had finished. The second racking was after 3 weeks in secondary. I wanted to get it off the lees to see if that was what was causing the little bubbles. In any case, I appreciate the advice since I really didn’t know better to begin with.

If you saw a 10 point drop in the gravity, it was not done fermenting. If you have had the same reading for 3-5 days, it’s now done fermenting.

After it reach the 1.009-10 reading, it’s likely that the continued air lock activity was excess CO2 coming out of solution because of a rise in temps.

Cool thanks. I gave it a taste and it seems pretty good. Want it to be bottle aged this very second!