Caribou Slobber- Yeast Amounts?

Can anyone tell me the amount of yeast the 5 gal. kit recipe calls for? I got a 5 gal. kit for free a few weeks ago as part of a deal from NB. I opted to not order the yeast at the time since I thought it would be some time before I jumped from 1 gal. to 5 gal. kits.

I know it calls for Danstar Windsor Ale for the default option and Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale for the liquid option. Can anyone remember the amounts for these?

Either way, the kit calls for 1 whole package.

In the case of the dry yeast, that’s probably fine. With the liquid yeast, 1 smack pack will also make the beer, but making a yeast starter first will make it better.

[quote=“Helvetica”]Can anyone tell me the amount of yeast the 5 gal. kit recipe calls for? I got a 5 gal. kit for free a few weeks ago as part of a deal from NB. I opted to not order the yeast at the time since I thought it would be some time before I jumped from 1 gal. to 5 gal. kits.

I know it calls for Danstar Windsor Ale for the default option and Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale for the liquid option. Can anyone remember the amounts for these?[/quote]

Here is a link to a calculator that will become your best brewing friend.

http://yeastcalc.com/

A package of dry yeast is 11.5 grams. Smaller 5 gram packs can be purchased, but not recommended. Wyeasts smack packs are 100ml with 25ml of nutrient. White Lab vials are 100ml.

I recommend WY1332 for Caribou Slobber.

Thanks guys.

That’s surprising- logically, I figured it would all be relative. Since I used half a pkg. of dry yeast for a 1 gal. kit, I thought it would call for 2.5 pkgs. to do a 5 gal. kit. :lol:

[quote=“Helvetica”]Thanks guys.

That’s surprising- logically, I figured it would all be relative. Since I used half a pkg. of dry yeast for a 1 gal. kit, I thought it would call for 2.5 pkgs. to do a 5 gal. kit. :lol: [/quote]
There is logic; what you’re missing is that there is a wide difference between “minimum” pitch rate and “optimal” pitch rate.

Go to the calculator flars recommended, it will tell you how much yeast they recommend for 5-gal which is often larger than one pack/vial’s worth. You could have brewed 1gal batches with 0.2 packs yeast but you’d be at the minimum, and dividing a pack in 5 is impractical. Pitching 1/2 pack is something you can do close enough by eye, and get closer to “optimal” pitch rates, which makes “1/2” pack both easier for you and better for the beer.

For 5-gal batches, hitting optimal rates by pitching multiple packs gets expensive. So, your choices are.

1. pitch the minimum 1 pack/vial.
  2. suck it up, and buy 2 packs
  3. learn to make starters.

If you’re rich enough already; go for option 2.
If you’re using dry yeast, go for 1; maybe it’s cheap enough for 2.
If you’re using liquid yeast, you can get away with option 1 for lower OG beers, but you NEED a starter for higher OG beers. The specific original gravity number where it becomes mandatory is a subject of debate. You’ll hear 1.040-1.070 depending on who you ask. But the calculator will help you get your own opinion. Personally, I think starters are fun, so I just do them.

Got it- thanks JMcK.

:cheers: