Caribou Slobber -- don't think it's fermenting

Hey all. New to brewing – on my 5th batch. All have turned out great. I brewed Carribou Slobber last Saturday.

From Sat to Monday night seems it went crazy fermenting – the plug was almost out of water and the brew was all over the inside top like it pushed the water out.

Since then I’m seeing no activity (bubbling) out. Smelled it just now and it seems to smell okay. I have no idea what yeast would smell like.

What should I do?

Thanks for advice.

Mine did the same thing. My currently at almost two weeks throws out a small bubble every now and then. I know most of my fermentation is due to higher temps (75-78) so it went fast at first and now slower. From what others have said you can’t go by the bubbles to know what’s going on all the time. Going to check mine Sunday so I’ll let you know how mine turns out.

Take a hydrometer reading at two weeks and another three days later. Don’t forget to check the calibration of your hydrometer and the temperature correction for the SG readings. Fermentation should be complete by that time and the normal off flavors of fermentation cleaned up. At the end of week three the hop debris and break material should have settled out.
Add a thermometer strip to the outside of your fermentor to track wort temperature during the first few days of active fermentation. To high of fermentation temperature can produce fusel alcohols. Fusels are an off flavor the yeast can not clean up. a swamp cooler may be necessary to keep your wort in the low to mid point of the yeasts ideal fermentation temperature range.

[quote=“flars”]Take a hydrometer reading at two weeks and another three days later. Don’t forget to check the calibration of your hydrometer and the temperature correction for the SG readings. Fermentation should be complete by that time and the normal off flavors of fermentation cleaned up. At the end of week three the hop debris and break material should have settled out.
Add a thermometer strip to the outside of your fermentor to track wort temperature during the first few days of active fermentation. To high of fermentation temperature can produce fusel alcohols. Fusels are an off flavor the yeast can not clean up. a swamp cooler may be necessary to keep your wort in the low to mid point of the yeasts ideal fermentation temperature range.[/quote]

Will try. Thanks.

I had the same experience with Caribou Slobber, lots of bubbling action relatively quickly. A real confidence building, and even though the gravity seemed to plateau for awhile, everything turned out fine.

My question is about my second batch of beer - the Deadringer IPA extract kit. I prepared it on Saturday according to instructions, noticing that my selection of dry yeast is pitched from the envelope rather than hydrated first.

Anyway, three days later, there is no bubbling whatsoever through the airlock. I have not opened it and can’t see inside the plastic food-grade bucket fermenter. But I’m worried that something has gone wrong.

Is it called Deadringer because it acts dead and doesn’t exhale during fermentation? :slight_smile:

Whoops, it’s not bubbling through the airlock, but rather the seal around the base. Guess I have to pluck down a few cents for a new rubber gasket. :cheers: