Carboy ok for primary fementation?

If you are doing a standard US 5 gal batch, the 6 gal carboy should give you lots of head space. If you control the fermentation as much as possible, it is unlikely you would need a blow off that often.

At the same time… you really don’t have to see what is going on to know what is going on. Learn patience and have faith in your process.

Your sense of smell can also tell you what you need to know.[/quote]

I realize that you don’t need to see to know what’s going on inside the fermenter. But when you are new to brewing, everything is exciting so you want to experience all of it. Then add in the “I wonder what going on it there?” and “Should it be doing that?” and “Oh geez I think I screwed something up. I should check it again.” then you understand the need to see. I’m sure some day I’ll get over that but for now I’m very glad I chose the clear glass carboys over opaque plastic buckets.

[quote=“BarbarianBrewer”]

I realize that you don’t need to see to know what’s going on inside the fermenter. But when you are new to brewing, everything is exciting so you want to experience all of it. Then add in the “I wonder what going on it there?” and “Should it be doing that?” and “Oh geez I think I screwed something up. I should check it again.” then you understand the need to see. I’m sure some day I’ll get over that but for now I’m very glad I chose the clear glass carboys over opaque plastic buckets.[/quote]

Always good to know what it all looks like, no doubt. When I first started out 15 or 20 years ago the norm was just to lay the bucket lid on loosely - no airlock. And you would never hesitate to lift the lid anytime you felt like taking a peek. Would actually just leave the thermometer floating in there the whole time / hydrometer too. Those were the good old days when there were no “rules” :mrgreen:

So, additional question about secondary fermentation. I have a Carboy which is currently filled with my first batch of wine that has yet to clear. I have a batch of beer ready to be transferred currently in my bucket. The beer requires a second fermentation as there are wet-hops to add. Can I use my bottling bucket (with a built in spigot) for the secondary fermentation?

MA

[quote=“MAMBrewer”]So, additional question about secondary fermentation. I have a Carboy which is currently filled with my first batch of wine that has yet to clear. I have a batch of beer ready to be transferred currently in my bucket. The beer requires a second fermentation as there are wet-hops to add. Can I use my bottling bucket (with a built in spigot) for the secondary fermentation?

MA[/quote]
I’ve had drip-drip type leaks from the seal around the bottling bucket’s spigot. Not an issue for the 1-2 hr bottling session, but it would make for an annoying mess over a couple weeks…