Carboy ok for primary fementation?

Hey folks, I’m new here, just did my first brew last night. I have a question about fermentors.

I got the essential starter kit which has the plastic buckets, but I was thinking I would really like to have a couple of carboys.

Is a carboy ok to use for primary fermentation? I know they are commonly used for secondary, but I was just wondering if anyone uses them for primary. I think it would be neat to actually be able to see the beer without having to pry off a lid of a bucket.

If this is cool, I was thinking of ordering a 6 gallon better bottle for this purpose.

[quote=“J S Machine”]Hey folks, I’m new here, just did my first brew last night. I have a question about fermentors.

I got the essential starter kit which has the plastic buckets, but I was thinking I would really like to have a couple of carboys.

Is a carboy ok to use for primary fermentation? I know they are commonly used for secondary, but I was just wondering if anyone uses them for primary. I think it would be neat to actually be able to see the beer without having to pry off a lid of a bucket.

If this is cool, I was thinking of ordering a 6 gallon better bottle for this purpose.[/quote]

A large portion of brewers on this site use carboys for their primary. I do not - mainly a volume thing.

Where I am you can actually get 32l pails that are clear plastic so you have the volume and can see through it.

So the buckets will actually give more volume?

depends on what buckets you use. I live in Canada, so the standard size fermenter is the 30l pail (what US brewers tend to considder wine kit size.)

I believe the standard in US brewing would be the 26l size? which is fine for 5 US gal batch, but way too small for a CAN 5 gal size.

Carboy sizes vary quite a bit as well. So I guess it depends what size you are using.

As I mentioned I do all my beers to 23l, where as most US recipes are for 19-20l.

But to answer your question more directly…There likely is more head space in whatever bucket you have than what there would be in whatever carboy you have. Easy way to tell is to fill the carboy with water and pour it into you bucket.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]
Where I am you can actually get 32l pails that are clear plastic so you have the volume and can see through it.[/quote]

I’m assuming you buy these locally, any idea if there’s a website? I’d be interested in checking those out.

[quote=“BPBCo”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]
Where I am you can actually get 32l pails that are clear plastic so you have the volume and can see through it.[/quote]

I’m assuming you buy these locally, any idea if there’s a website? I’d be interested in checking those out.[/quote]

My store gets them directly from Winexpert. Possible only from the Ontario warehouse. They get something different in BC.

They are made from #5 plastic as opposed to #2 so theoretically better for the environment.

If I find out anything else I’ll post back.

Also the lids don’t need a gasket and seal very well.

[quote=“BPBCo”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]

I’m assuming you buy these locally, any idea if there’s a website? I’d be interested in checking those out.[/quote]

Found a link for a site in the UK http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item639.htm

At least you can see what it is.

If you google “Lagan ditt emballage” you can find some other forum posts refering to this fermenter.

When I purchased my brewing equipment I specifically chose carboys (5 & 6 gallon) because I knew I would be intensely curious (and worried) about what was happening inside the fermenter. Good think I did because at first I’d be checking 2-3 times a day! Since you already have the buckets I’d suggest sticking with what you got. But if you find yourself going insane with curiosity and worry…go get the carboys! Besides as someone at work (I think) once said: “You can never have too many fermenters”! :cheers:

If you are doing a standard US 5 gal batch, the 6 gal carboy should give you lots of head space. If you control the fermentation as much as possible, it is unlikely you would need a blow off that often.

At the same time… you really don’t have to see what is going on to know what is going on. Learn patience and have faith in your process.

Your sense of smell can also tell you what you need to know.

NB emailed a BOGO code yesterday for their Bubbler carboys. I can look it up after work.

I used buckets for primary for the past year, and a carboy for secondary. This week is the first time I decided to use a carboy for primary, and I’m doing a cider for the first time. I can’t stop staring at the thing… fermentation is fun to watch. Especially since this cider is going absolutely mental. My airlock is spitting starsan a couple of inches up. I saw that Bubbler bogo yesterday… I may just pop into the store tonight and pick some up.

I believe it was BUBBLERUP5 for the 5 gallon and BUBBLERUP6 for the 6 gallon

I believe it was BUBBLERUP5 for the 5 gallon and BUBBLERUP6 for the 6 gallon[/quote]

DUBBLEUP5 and DUBBLEUP6 are what I remember…

Glass/or plastic carboys are supposed to be more air tight and let less oxygen in the beer. (and you can see the yeast going crazy in there). I use a 6 gallon carboy for primary, and 90% of the time i have a blow over even with a 1.042 beer and with temperature control. I have found that if I use a 3 piece bubbler I can just attach a half inch vinyl tube to the bubbler when it starts overflowing and all the mess goes in a jar with sanitizer. Way easier than taking the bubbler and plug out and putting in a 1 inch tube.

I believe it was BUBBLERUP5 for the 5 gallon and BUBBLERUP6 for the 6 gallon[/quote]

DUBBLEUP5 and DUBBLEUP6 are what I remember…[/quote]

Yes now that you say it I think your’e right, guess the old memory isn’t what it used to be… :roll:

Offer ends tonight at midnight according to the email so don’t delay if you think you might take advantage of this. I just bought one a couple weeks ago so kinda bummed I didn’t wait. Oh well :slight_smile:

I just checked both of the codes and neither worked :cry:

[quote]Buy The Bubbler™ Plastic Carboy, Get One FREE.

To receive your free 5 Gallon (SKU 41087) or 6 Gallon (SKU 41099) Bubbler, add two Bubblers of the same size to your cart, then enter promo code DUBBLEUP5 or DUBBLEUP6 in promo code box on the shopping cart page.

Offer valid 48 hours online and in-store through Midnight CST on 9/18/2013 or while supplies last. Free Bubbler must be the same size. Offer cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts. [/quote]

Out of stock?

Edit: just tried it. Put 2 carboys in your order. Then add the coupon. The price of 1 will be subtracted.

In the past, you added 1 to the order. Enter the coupon and a second showed up. IIRC.