Carboy heater

I’m thinking about a putting my carboys in a pale or tub with an aquarium heater to keep them at the right temp over the winter anyone else try this? What watt heater should I get?

I do this. I’ve got a 50 watt that does OK. Bigger would probably be better for equalizing the heat when you first put the fermenter in the water bath.

I do this. I’ve got a 50 watt that does OK. Bigger would probably be better for equalizing the heat when you first put the fermenter in the water bath.[/quote]
+1

I use a 50 watt heater as well. I also try to give the heater a break by making sure that the bath water I add is already at my target temperature (or maybe a little warmer).

1st, what is the air temp where you want to ferment at?

I tried an aquarium heater a couple years ago. Doing a lager in a unattached garage. I put the carboy in a plastic “filing”
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Storex-Portable-File-Tote-with-Locking-Handle-Storage-Box-Clear/14916227
box. I insulated it on the outside with some white styrofoam.

It was very difficult for me to dial in the temp that I wanted. A very small move in the thermostat seemed to give a wild swing in the water temp. Don’t remember the size. May have been to small?

For ease of use, I would use a temp controller like in my signature line to turn the heater on/off.

You also need to keep an eye on the water level. If it drops to much you will burn out the heater.

I would be inclined to make a box out of 2" pink foam board and use a ceramic space heater.

[quote=“Dan S”]
I use a 50 watt heater as well. I also try to give the heater a break by making sure that the bath water I add is already at my target temperature (or maybe a little warmer).[/quote]
Oh yeah, I left that step out.

I like that digital temp. controller, I’m going to see if I can get a carboy into my mini fridge then i’ll just rig one of them up.