Carbonation

To date I have only done the 1 gallon brew kits. I tend to find that the beer is not carbonated properly. Can I use 2 sugar tablets instead of the 1 that is in the recipe? I generally let the bottles condition for at least 2 weeks and even those that have sat for over a month seem to exhibit the same levels of carbonation as the two week bottles so I don’t think it’s a matter of not waiting long enough.

Just to ask - about what temperature do the bottles sit at to carbonate? they should be in a room the mid 70’s or so I think (slightly warmer then when you ferment) if you can swing it. I assume you are not sticking them right in the fridge after bottling.

can you maybe try 1 1/2 tablets for a batch or two and go from there? I would fear getting too much carbonation doubling the sugar amount

Do you swirl or otherwise agitate the bottles at all?

For the first week, I gently tip the bottle daily to rouse the yeast from the bottom.

Thanks for the replies. The storage was at about 70 degrees (or so), maybe a touch cooler but not in the fridge. Will try the swirling and perhaps 1.5 tablets. Thank you.

Do you also have about one to one and a half inches of headspace in each bottle?

is that the optimal headspace? I haven’t bottled in a while but will keep that in mind. I definitely didn’t fill them all the way to the top. Thanks.

My SOP when filling bottles (if using a bottling wand) is to let the foam hit the top of the bottle then stop. The volume of the cane and the extra foam should leave you at an ideal fill height. Mine are usually filled anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the neck of the bottle.

My SOP when filling bottles (if using a bottling wand) is to let the foam hit the top of the bottle then stop. The volume of the cane and the extra foam should leave you at an ideal fill height. Mine are usually filled anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the neck of the bottle.[/quote]

that is what I try to do. usually I can do so without a little spilling out, but I am not perfect and that is why I bottle OVER an open dishwasher door. quick and easy cleanup when I am done - shut and hit the rinse cycle

That’s pure genius!! I’m going to try that on my next bottling day. Thank you!!!

That’s pure genius!! I’m going to try that on my next bottling day. Thank you!!![/quote]

I’ll admit I don’t think it was my idea originally - I swear I either read it on here years ago, maybe saw it in a youtube video, not really sure.

regardless I still bottle (I really want to keg some day but have not gotten that far). bottling bucket on top of another bucket (usually my star san one) with the lid on obviously is just the right height for me to sit on a chair and bottle over the open door. I of course spill over now and then and this helps.

That’s pure genius!! I’m going to try that on my next bottling day. Thank you!!![/quote]

I’ll admit I don’t think it was my idea originally - I swear I either read it on here years ago, maybe saw it in a youtube video, not really sure.

regardless I still bottle (I really want to keg some day but have not gotten that far). bottling bucket on top of another bucket (usually my star san one) with the lid on obviously is just the right height for me to sit on a chair and bottle over the open door. I of course spill over now and then and this helps.[/quote]

Just to follow up: I bottled today using this method, and again let me reiterate that it is pure genius and thank you!

I bottle on a baking pan (cookie sheet). Fill the bottle until the beer is level with the top, any foam spillover is just starsan. Baking pan catches any spills. I built a small bench to bottle on, and it works very well. The wife kicked me out of her kitchen many months ago.