Carbonation help for bottling a Kveik brew

Has anyone added champagne yeast at bottling with Kveik brews to make sure they are fully carbonated? My house is warm. I live in FL and am typically fermenting at 78+ so thought I’d try using Kveik. I brewed the Kama Citra IPA extract kit and used two packs Voss Kveik Ale yeast (pitched without rehydrating as recommended by LalBrew). Fermentation temp was 87 F and was fast! OG 1.04 at 87 F. I racked it to a secondary 36 hours after pitching the yeast. Specific gravity at racking was 1.012 and temp was 78 F. I dry hopped it a day after racking and am bottling today, three and a half days after dry hopping. I was going to use 5.3 ounces corn sugar to give me a 2.5 vol of CO2 but am worried about how completely the Kveik may have done it’s job. I’m looking for advice on whether I should try adding champagne yeast or just go with the priming sugar. There seems to be SO much debate on using yeast at bottling.

Help me understand why you think you need to add yeast? The only reason to add yeast is if you believe the yeast you used is unhealthy due to poor pitching rates (doesn’t sound like it with you using 2 packets) or really high ABV (which I don’t believe this beer is). I don’t think you need to add any yeast as Kveik is a beast and will bottle condition just fine.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I guess I was afraid that too much might have flocculated out

There’s no debate about adding yeast at bottling because there almost never a need to. It’s only a very last desperate measure. Your yeast is fine so there’s no need to worry. You over pitched the yeast substantially IMO so there’s no reason to worry about yeast health. Voss is very sturdy and since you have no reason to doubt it’s health it will out compete any secondary yeast you might bottle with anyway,
What did you use to check your FG and was it stable after 3 days?

1 Like

It’s next to impossible to rack your home brew and not have yeast in it.

I have a hydrometer and yes it’s stable. I thought I might have pitched more than enough since I later read that you can actually under pitch Voss. This is my third home-brew. Learning all the time. Thank you for your advice.

Welcome to the fun! You’ll never stop learning. Yeast health is the key to the whole thing so you are starting in the right area to experiment with.

Got it! You’ll have PLENTY of yeast in suspension. Keep on brewing!