Carbonating through liquid line

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”][quote=“Silentknyght”]I’ve been debating something like this:

http://morebeer.com/products/carbonating-keg-lid.html

… but the price has kept me away.[/quote]

I like it, 'cept for the price…Might have to check with some of my brew club members, and see what kind of parts they have laying around, and give it some D I Y action.[/quote]

Seems like what was mentioned above about adding a line and stone to the gas in tube would be much cheaper and just as efficient as the new lid.

This is because the CO2 needs to not only disolve in the beer but also hydrate.[/quote]

I have never noticed any difference than carbing a beer with setting it at a specific psi for a week vs putting it at 25-30 psi for a day or two then backing down to serving pressure.

Certain beers may benefit from the longer chilling/psuedo lagering time but the carbing method has made no difference[/quote]

I have noticed that the beers that sit in the keezer for at least a week do actually taste better than the ones I force carb over a 2-3 day period. I have been aging all my ales for 3 weeks instead of two weeks. Maybe the method I am using has nothing to do with it and it’s the fact it is sitting in the 34º keezer for 7 days?

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“grainbelt”]
Those beers with the large bubbles are just not ready and absorbed. They will turn into small bubbles[/quote]

I’m not necessarily disputing that this is happening, but I don’t understand the mechanics/science behind it. Any resources I can read-up on?[/quote]

Sure: http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/rjsgrp/pu … ngland.pdf

HAVE FUN! :wink:

Absolutely true and congrats on making that discovery. It applies to more than just carbonation… Many homebrewers (and even a few commercial brewers and especially brewpubs) are often in such a rush to crank out beer that it sometimes takes a while to discover that simple truth (if they ever do at all).
Rarely does rushing any aspect of the brewing process actually improve the end result in any substantial way.

FWIW, though, unlike for a lot of other steps you can rush I don’t think quick carbing will do any harm to a beer. Unless maybe you end up drinking it all in a few days so you never get to experience what it would have been like if it had been given enough time to properly mature.