Carb and Serving pressure

So I kegging for the first time. I have 2 on deck: John Q Adams Marblehead Lager made with the Wyeast 2112. and Irish Red . Can I carb and serve both of these using the same pressure or do I need the fancy manifold to use the same co2 tank?

I need to re-read some stuff but if not mistaken I the condition in the keg is simply providing the right amount of carb pressure for x period of time. So I assume if I keg next this coming weekend, Dec 6, I should have no issue serving at party on 13th, right?

Carbing pressure and serving are different. Right now I only do 1 keg at a time, but if you get a splitter you can carb two at the same time. I set mine to 20 for 2 days, shake the keg 2-3 times per day and then reset it to 6-8 psi for serving. I would say yes to the timeline for carbing and serving.

This is the distributor…http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew … toffs.html

If you want to do them totally separate, you need a double body regulator I believe.

Thanks,
Yeah I realized when I browsing for some hardware that I meant the double regulator not a manifold.

I’ve a dual regulator and it’s worth the cost for the convenience.

Carbing pressure and serving pressure are not necessarily different.

Many homebrewers carb with the “set and forget” method. Set the pressure at the level of carbonation you want, my usual is 9-10psi. In a week or 2 the beer is carbed and ready. Some use higher pressuer, shaking, rolling of the keg, etc to “quick” force carb for faster drinking.

I’ve done it both ways. When I first started kegging I had a single reg with a splitter to 2 kegs. Works fine if you use the “set and forget” method of carbing when a new keg comes on line.

In my beer fridge I now have dual regs with 4 kegs with a splitter off each reg but also added inline shut off valves. I can do ‘set and forget’ or I can shut one off to increase pressure a new one for shaking or overnight increase.

If you want the flexibility of different vol levels in individual kegs you need a reg for each keg.

I forgot to ask about temp during carb.

Because water (and beer) are more soluble for CO2 at lower temperatures, the colder the temp during carbing, the faster the CO2 will dissolve into the beer. And if you attempt the “set and forget” method at temperatures higher than serving temp, it will never quite get fully carbed until you chill it with the tank attached for some time.

And with regards to the dual regulator question, you only need that if you want your two tanks to be at different pressures. But I would strongly suggest backflow-check valves in your gas lines to stop the potential problem of excess pressure from one tank causing it to flow into the other tank. Usually that is only gas in the headspace, so not so big an issue. But if the higher pressure keg is very full, it can be a real problem.

Because water (and beer) are more soluble for CO2 at lower temperatures, the colder the temp during carbing, the faster the CO2 will dissolve into the beer. And if you attempt the “set and forget” method at temperatures higher than serving temp, it will never quite get fully carbed until you chill it with the tank attached for some time.

And with regards to the dual regulator question, you only need that if you want your two tanks to be at different pressures. But I would strongly suggest backflow-check valves in your gas lines to stop the potential problem of excess pressure from one tank causing it to flow into the other tank. Usually that is only gas in the headspace, so not so big an issue. But if the higher pressure keg is very full, it can be a real problem.[/quote]
+1 to the check valves RC. Forgot to mention that… :cheers:

Ok another newb question. I know I have to sterilize the serving side of the lines but do I do I sterilize the manifold and pressure side hoses? I want to sterilize everything tonight and I will probably keg in the am. I using one tank a 3 port manifold with 2 kegs. I also have the double body regulator, forgot I had the double body already, so good for future beers requiring different pressures.

Also how long do you let the co2 blow out around the lid of the keg before you lock it?

What’s the thought on cold crashing before kegging? I have some injury issues so I cannot cold crash before kegging and carbing for the time being.

[quote=“cyberdiver”]Ok another newb question. I know I have to sterilize the serving side of the lines but do I do I sterilize the manifold and pressure side hoses? I want to sterilize everything tonight and I will probably keg in the am. I using one tank a 3 port manifold with 2 kegs. I also have the double body regulator, forgot I had the double body already, so good for future beers requiring different pressures.

Also how long do you let the co2 blow out around the lid of the keg before you lock it?[/quote]Sanitize, not sterilize. Completely different order of magnitude. I never worry about sanitizing that stuff. The beer will clean it out and for the gas side, CO2 will protect it.

Whoops was tired last night. I knew sterilize sounded wrong.

I read some info last night from a guy who runs shop here were I live were he uses the co2 to sanitize his kegs, is that a valid method?

[quote=“cyberdiver”]I read some info last night from a guy who runs shop here were I live were he uses the co2 to sanitize his kegs, is that a valid method?[/quote]No but it does keep things from growing in there due to lack of oxygen.

Remember, there are some bugs (anaerobic bacteria for example) that ONLY grow in the absence of oxygen. CO2 is not an effective sanitizer.