Carapils in Porter

Would it make sense to add a bit of Carapils in a porter or stout to get a fuller mouthfeel and/or head retention?
If so, how much?

No. Carapils doesn’t do that. It’s a myth. Seriously.

If you want body and head retention, substitute 10% of your base malt with rye malt (or extract – either the real malt or the extract should work). You’ll get body and head retention like you’ve never seen before. And don’t worry – people who say it tastes “spicy” have probably never tasted rye before in anything other than pumpernickel bread. It’s not spicy. You won’t be able to taste it at all in a 10% amount. Use 30% or more if you want to taste it. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the good idea. I might try that rye extract idea as I just received a Private Rye kit from NB and I usually make half batches anyway.
So what does Carapils do?

Thanks for the good idea. I might try that rye extract idea as I just received a Private Rye kit from NB and I usually make half batches anyway.
So what does Carapils do?

[quote=“MitchInNC”]Thanks for the good idea. I might try that rye extract idea as I just received a Private Rye kit from NB and I usually make half batches anyway.
So what does Carapils do?[/quote]

Carapils generally aids in head retention and gives a bit fuller “mouthfeel”.

Carapils (assuming you mean Breiss Carapils) adds dextrine to your wort. Dextrine is an unfermentable sugar that in theory adds body to your beer similar to adding lactose. I’ve never done a side by side comparison of the same beers with and without Carapils to see if this is true. As far as head retention I’ve never had a problem with this with or without carapils. The first thing I would look at is your glasses. Do you use a rinse agent in your dish washer? This is known to reduce head retention in beers.

[quote=“65SS427”][quote=“MitchInNC”]Thanks for the good idea. I might try that rye extract idea as I just received a Private Rye kit from NB and I usually make half batches anyway.
So what does Carapils do?[/quote]

Carapils generally aids in head retention and gives a bit fuller “mouthfeel”.[/quote]

Heh heh heh heh… old brewers’ tales die hard…

I’ve found that it’s effective at improving profits for the malting house…

Really, guys? Please tell me how adding dextrins to a recipe won’t increase body and head retention in a beer? IIRC, a fair number of breweries add dextrin malts to their recipes, especially in beers such as pilsners that tend to be a bit thin without them… If it didn’t work, I doubt that these breweries would go to the trouble and expense.

I’ll correct myself a little bit…

Carapils will theoretically improve body if enough is used (e.g., >15%). However it doesn’t do boo for head retention.

Rye, on the other hand, does both. So do oats and, to a lesser extent, wheat.

Most people who use Carapils do it because that’s the way they’ve always done it, or they heard from someone else that it improved both body and head retention. Not true. As a body enhancer, it is very wimpy. As a head retention product, it does nothing.