Captain Crush mill problems

I have used my Captain Crush three times now and all three times it’s a bear to get the grain to feed. The rollers are set per the instructions and turn freely by hand. Still even on the largest gap it just will not pick up the grain and turn the other rollers.

I’ve tried reversing the drill momentarily per instructions all to no avail.

Am I missing something here. What am I doing wrong?

Paul

Do the rollers spin freely with no grain? Does it have any “flat spots” if you spin it by hand?

Yes they spin freely, no flat spots. When it does grab the grain it works perfectly till the hopper is empty. Then you have the same problem getting it started.

So, you have the rollers spinning freely, and not grabbing the grain to feed?

You have a wide gap (.038-40) on the top rollers and a narrower gap on the 3rd? What notches are you at?

I have tried them on every setting possible with the top roller always wider than the bottom. Also if I set the set screws like the instructions say (not too tight not too loose) then they work really loose pretty quick and you lose the settings.

Right now it’s set, top roller on center notch and bottom on the second smallest notch.

I have had the same issue with mine. I currently have my top roller set at 3rd smallest and bottom roller at second smallest. This nets me between 75-80% efficiency depending on the grain bill. About every third batch, it will work as soon as I turn on the drill. Once you get it feeding it runs perfectly. Typically it takes two hoppers worth of grain for a 5 gal batch and the second hopper works without issue, every single time.

What I have done to resolve it is loosen the top roller out and back in a time or two. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then I reach up under and manually turn the bottom roller and the top undriven roller. This typically fixes it. Unfortunately I have not found a perfect solution to just have it work first try every time. I have the older thumbscrews for the set screws instead of the newer style. I will try to remember to just put in a tiny bit of grain so I can see from the top what is going on.

:cheers:
Rad

Clean the rollers with a stainless steel brush before you start. Available at Lowes in the welding section.

Just for giggles try and mist some malt with water and do a test crush. Mist malt with a spritzer ( just 1 or 2 spritzes, then let sit for 10-15 minutes), then see if it feeds.

Hey Brews-R-Us,

The other suggestions posted here are good ones, I’d try a couple of those out and see if it resolves your troubles. Three roller mills are fantastic from a performance standpoint, but can be tricky to get used to. That being said, I get the feeling that you’re having a bit of a tougher time with this mill than I’d expect, so if it doesn’t improve with some of the tweaks mentioned here, give us a ring and we can swap it out.

Ask for Gabe when you call in, I’ll take care of ya :cheers:

I had the same problem. The trick for me was that those thumb screws need to be just tight enough to hold the knobs, but no tighter. Make them just tight, then back them off about a quarter turn.

Exact same issue and solution I came across. That roller was binding when turned by hand though so it made diagnosing the issue a bit easier.

I have a JSP but have experienced the same problems. I run mine with an electric motor. To get it to grab, I shut motor off, grab large pulley and make small movements backwards, forwards, backwards, … until I feel it grab. Then turn on the motor and it runs fine. The issue is that only one roller is driver, the other is merely an idler.

I’ve not experienced that with my JSP…… yet. I think 13 years and over 500 brews…. Sneezles61

[quote=“sneezles61”]I’ve not experienced that with my JSP…… yet. I think 13 years and over 500 brews…. Sneezles61[/quote]Mine is the non adjustable model.

mine isn’t adjustable too, yet, still has the rubber o-ring in tact! Sneezles61

I have a cereal killer and I had a similar issue that I fixed by giving the rollers a good clean. All the built-up grain dust prevented the rollers from gripping the grain. I also noticed if you start out spinning too fast there is a chance it won’t catch.

[quote=“mattnaik”]I have a cereal killer and I had a similar issue that I fixed by giving the rollers a good clean. All the built-up grain dust prevented the rollers from gripping the grain. I also noticed if you start out spinning too fast there is a chance it won’t catch.[/quote]Never thought much about the speed but you may be on to something. Mine spins at 294RPM.

" 220 - 221 Whatever it takes"
Jack Butler AKA Mr. Mom