Can you take a look at my amber lager recipe?

First what style would this far under? or any for that matter?

I am guessing it would be closest to a vienna lager. But the OG is too high and the hops all american.

Either way, what do you think? and what if anything would you change?

Amber Lager

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 11.313
Total Hops (oz): 1.88
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 12.9 (EBC): 25.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

8.250 lb Pilsner (72.92%)
2.000 lb Vienna (17.68%)
0.750 lb Caramunich I (6.63%)
0.250 lb Crystal 80 (2.21%)
0.063 lb Black Malt (0.56%)

Hop Bill

0.38 oz Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Mt. Hood Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Mt. Hood Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Mt. Hood Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 50°F with Saflager S-23

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
http://www.brewmate.net

The 0.5oz mt hood addition would actually be a FWH addition. forgot to note that.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to say but Hopville’s calculator
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/
can help you categorize. It will be a guess-and-check but probably worth it if you’re really interested in knowing.

Bump it up to around 1.070 and call it an imperial vienna.

Ditch the S23 lager yeast. I’ve tried it a few times and was never satisfied. Its fruity and not even as good as an ale, definitely doesn’t give a clean lager profile. I’m not the only one to come to this conclusion. 3470 is a decent dry lager yeast.

Otherwise I’m not sure you’d get 12 SRM from that grain bill. It seems to me like it would be a nice vienna lager, maybe a little sweet with nearly 105 crystal. I’d probably at least ditch the crystal 80 and go with 6.6% caramunich, it’d be enough sweetness and a little bready flavor to augment the Vienna malt. I actually like the ratio of pils to Vienna, I’ve brewed repeatdly with all-Vienna (Global, a little darker than some Viennas) and it is too much of a good thing for my palate.

Do some research on the S-23 - I coulda swore some folks say it ferments LESS fruity at ale temperatures (Denny Conn).

I like the recipe outlined, a very neat style. I’d predict close to a Vienna lager, but more hop flavor. No harm in that.

Consider some liquid yeast strains other than S-23 for a nice beer? Mexican Lager Strain, Wyeast Carslberg Lager, WLP830 or Wyeast Equivalent is a MALT BOMB.

Enjoy!

~Adam