Can I Keg at Room Temp

Hello from PA
I just kegged a Bourbon Barrel Porter All-Grain Kit
I would like to keep it kegged for 6 months before I tap it
My Kegerator only can accommodate 2 kegs so I can’t dedicate a space in my Kegerator for the Bourbon Barrel Porter

Would it be ok to put say 30psi of CO2 on it and keep it at room temp for 6 months?

Thanks a bunch
Cabin

1 Like

Absolutely. Reference a volumes of CO2 chart for precise psi. For 2.2 volumes of CO2 the pressure would need to be 24 at 68°.

I have kept kegs for upwards of 8 months in my basement to age them for winter consumption. As long as you have somewhere that stays relatively cool year round, you should be fine. My basement stays in the mid 60s.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

You guys are the best!!!

Thanks a bunch

Cabin

I was just thinking about this topic as I find myself with a gap in my beer pipeline due to winter weather here.

So if I were to put a couple of kegs on " stand by" , is it better ( or does it make any difference ) if it’s carbed yet or not? I can tell by lifting my kegs up a little in the kegerator if I am getting close to the end, so I could wait till then to start the carbing. And suppose the beer is to be dry hopped, I would assume I should wait until it’s close ( 5-7 days) from drinking before dry hopping?

By the beginning of next winter I would like to have a few kegs in process to fill the gaps when the weather gets too crappy to brew. Maybe this idea is better suited to certain types of beer that perhaps do not require dry hopping.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Sugar prime any kegs that are going to sit at room temperature. Especially if you are going to age. Just my opinion

1 Like

Why would you choose that method brew_cat? Sounds like it would be simpler and save some gas, just curious if there is more behind it. Would you also purge the keg with some C02 before storing it away to sugar carb?

Exactly save gas and simple. Rack it to the keg purge it and seal. Prime with 50% the sugar recommend for bottleing and forget about it until ready to put it online. Then chill it and put it on the gas. Toss the first couple pours.

1 Like

It works great. I read the post about priming with less after I’d already done it. Wish I’d have heard the 50% earlier. I primed a scotch ale based on the calculator, sealed it with CO2, and let it sit for 6 months. Over carbed and it seemed a little drier than usual. Took a while to calm down and still tasty though.

Thanks, I will give that a try, glad you pointed out the 50% sugar dosage, I would not have guessed that.

Have to pick up a couple more kegs…

I prime most of my kegs. I do use more than 50% of the sugar and use table sugar. This is what works for my system however if you under carbonate it is easy to just hook up the gas, set it at 12lbs and let it equalize if it is under carbed so 50% is a good starting point.

At room temp it will carbonate in about the same time as bottles.

1 Like