Call for SMASH recipes

Hello there,

I was curious where I might look for some SMASH recipes? I’m wanting to brew a hop forward AG beer, but would like to keep the number of ingredients to a minimum. I’m really wanting to learn how different malt / hops / yeast work together. If anyone is willing to share a recipe they enjoy, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Andy

You don’t need a recipe for a SMASH.

Base malt (10-12lbs or so)
Hops (2-4oz or so… a little at 60min… a little between 20-1min)
yeast

BOOM!!! SMASH RECIPE!!!

Kidding aside, I’ve been making a simple pale ale for a little while now and trying out different hops each time just to get a good taste for each variety.

10lbs of 2row
1lb C20
1lb Carapils

1/2 oz Magnum @ 60min
1/2oz (insert hop here) 15min
1/2oz (insert hop here) 10min
1oz (insert hop here) 5min
1oz (insert hop here) 0min
1oz (insert hop here) dry hop 5-7 days

Neutral American ale yeast of some sort.

So far the best has been Citra. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Cascade is what it is… a solid hop. Amarillo is about the same, maybe a little better than the Cascade. Simcoe was nasty. I’m NOT a fan of Simcoe by itself. I like it complementing other hops, but not alone. I’m doing a Centennial this weekend and may branch out to European hops soon, specifically the Noble hops. Czech Saaz is my go to noble hop, but I’d like to try this with others.

This is one I came up with and plan on brewing after Thanksgiving:

Malt: Maris Otter
Hops: UK Fuggle (1oz @ 60, 1oz @ 15)
Yeast: WYeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

Thanks dobe12 and ljb. I assume 5 gallon recipes?

Yes sir. I shoot for 5.25 - 5.5 gal in the fermentor so I get 5 gal in the keg.

Vienna is a really nice base malt

something that might be interesting off the top of my head. 5 gallons, 75% efficiency

9lbs Vienna
.75oz hersbrucker 4%aa 60mins
.5oz hersbrucker 4%aa 15min
.5ozhersbrucker 4%aa 5min
wyeast 1007 at 58F

5%abv
18 IBU
5.8 SRM

certainly a summer/spring beer… (also, NOT hop forward… sorry, i missed that part… haha)
:cheers:

I liked centennial as a signal hop beer. I’ve done cent, cascade, chinook, cluster and fuggle cent was the best.

Centennial SMaSH

2 row to 1.065
2oz 60
1oz each 15, 10, 5, 0
2oz dry hop

I’ve found that 10-12 lbs of Vienna or Munich as base malt; enough noble hops to give around 20 IBUs; a liberal dry hopping; and 6 weeks of cold aging results in a simple but unbelievably smooth and refreshing brew…and a nice occasional change from more hop-forward beers.

I’ve done this recipe with both ale and lager yeasts, and the results were equally great, though nowadays I’ll usually just make it with a neutral tasting ale yeast for the sake of simplicity.

Simcoe smash…
Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 6.45 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

12 lbs Munich Malt - Bonlander (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 100.0 %
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 31.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 19.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

[quote=“The Professor”]I’ve found that 10-12 lbs of Vienna or Munich as base malt; enough noble hops to give around 20 IBUs; a liberal dry hopping; and 6 weeks of cold aging results in a simple but unbelievably smooth and refreshing brew…and a nice occasional change from more hop-forward beers.

I’ve done this recipe with both ale and lager yeasts, and the results were equally great, though nowadays I’ll usually just make it with a neutral tasting ale yeast for the sake of simplicity.[/quote]

I was just thinking about trying a SMASH with munich or vienna (probably the latter) with some WY1450 I need to use soon. I was thinking of higher IBUs, but now that you mention it I like the idea of not over-doing the bittering.

I was also thinking of using Horizon or maybe Santiam hops, so a little more Americanized version of your approach but with a low cohumulone variety that I don’t think would end up giving a particularly “un-noble” impression.

Ain’t nothing easier than a SMASH beer. 100% Vienna malt (excellent base malt!), and hop-burst with like 4-5 ounces of any kind of hops with 10-15 minutes left in the boil for huge flavor and aroma and whatever bitterness level you want – use software with the Tinseth method to figure out the IBUs.

That’s about it.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Ain’t nothing easier than a SMASH beer. 100% Vienna malt (excellent base malt!), and hop-burst with like 4-5 ounces of any kind of hops with 10-15 minutes left in the boil for huge flavor and aroma and whatever bitterness level you want – use software with the Tinseth method to figure out the IBUs.

That’s about it.[/quote]

+1,000. I’ve really been digging hop-bursting lately. It all started out with a 15-min Cascade, whose keg blew way too early. I’ve since been re-brewing a lot of my go-to recipes which I’ve adjusted to hop-bursted recipes. Similar bitterness and profile, but it just seems “fresher” on the tongue.

:cheers:

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Ain’t nothing easier than a SMASH beer. 100% Vienna malt (excellent base malt!), and hop-burst with like 4-5 ounces of any kind of hops with 10-15 minutes left in the boil for huge flavor and aroma and whatever bitterness level you want – use software with the Tinseth method to figure out the IBUs.

That’s about it.[/quote]
Great concept. I’ve never thought of doing a pale ale using Vienna as the base. Got to try this.

Thanks everyone for their input. I now have a good place to start!

fox

Mashweasel provided an interesting recipe for his Crouch Vale Brewer’s Gold on this thread
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77535&hilit=crouch+vale&start=15
. I picked up ingredients but haven’t brewed it yet. I couldn’t source Brewer’s Gold hops, so I went with Amarillo instead, as per his suggestion.

NB’s Patersbier is nearly a SMASH. You could easily tweak it to make it so.

[quote=“El Capitan”]Mashweasel provided an interesting recipe for his Crouch Vale Brewer’s Gold on this thread
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77535&hilit=crouch+vale&start=15
. I picked up ingredients but haven’t brewed it yet. I couldn’t source Brewer’s Gold hops, so I went with Amarillo instead, as per his suggestion.

NB’s Patersbier is nearly a SMASH. You could easily tweak it to make it so.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Re: patersbier - just picked up the ingredients to brew this yesterday. Love it.