C02 Tank

Hi. I’m new to this and I have some basic questions. If I buy a C02 tank, over time, do I just get it refilled or do I exchange it? I used to weld and oxygen tanks (and other gas tanks) were just exchanged at the welding supply dealer and refilled whenever they got to it. You didn’t really own your tank, you paid a deposit on the first one you were given and your deposit was returned whenever you surrendered the last one you were going to use. If I buy a tank and it is refilled on multiple occasions, doesn’t it need to be pressure tested at some point? Also, is the C02 used in brewing a special grade or purity or is it the same as used in industrial applications, fire extinguishers, etc.? Where do you go to get a tank refilled? Thanks.

Craig

If you buy a tank, you own the tank. I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher place. If you don’t want to buy a tank, a lot of home brew stores do exchanges like you mentioned.

I also get my tank filled at the fire extinguisher shops. Yes, you will have to pay for a certification test every few years when you own them.

Recertification in this area cost $16 and needs to be done every 5 years, 5 years will be the same in your area.

I now just exchange my 5 lb tanks at NB my 20 Lb tank I have to take to a supplier to get tested and refilled.

I believe it’s 5 years for an aluminum tank. 10 years for a steel one.

I just swap it for a full one at the welding store.

I do the same thing. The first time I wanted them to fill my shiny new tank. They did, but were cranky about having to do it. The next two times, I just exchanged it. It was faster and I looked over the exchanged tanks and they seemed to be in very good condition.

Where I live it depends on the vendor. There are a couple of places where I can go and get my tank filled. One will only do exchanges. I bought a rather small steel tank and I get it filled. It works but I’ll probably buy a 20# tank soon so that I can avoid trips to get it filled quite as often. I think in the long run it may be cheaper to own your tank and get it refilled but I haven’t run the numbers.

So no issues not using “food grade” CO2? I got mine filled at a paintball place and the guy there says people fill their beer tanks there all the time? One thing I know for sure there is no difference between the CO2 from a paintball place and a welding supply shop. However Hop City in Atlanta charges $25 for “food grade CO2” to fill a 5 lb tank and the guy today charged me $15.

YOWZA!..That’s a lot for a 5 lb. tank!

Whereabouts in Atlanta do you live?

Whereabouts in Atlanta do you live?[/quote]

Hey …I’m actually in Douglasville. I thought the $25 was kind of high. I got my tank filled at that paintball place where Thornton road crosses I-20. My kids tell me that Hop City is pretty cool but I agree their prices seem a bit high.

Whereabouts in Atlanta do you live?[/quote]

Hey …I’m actually in Douglasville. I thought the $25 was kind of high. I got my tank filled at that paintball place where Thornton road crosses I-20. My kids tell me that Hop City is pretty cool but I agree their prices seem a bit high.[/quote]

Save your bucks and watch Craigslist!
I gave 5 bucks for a ROUGH looking 20 pound tank, and swapped it out for a nice 20 pounder @ AirGas in Griffin…The swapout was 18 bucks.

I have an 80 cu.ft. aluminum scuba tank that I’ve not used in years, and a fire ext. place nearby said the would do the inspection, hydrostatic test and fill for 40 bucks…I just need to find a CO2 valve to swap out with the scuba valve…The man said they are PRICEY, so I’m eyes open for a used one!

To answer your question. It depends on where you live. Here in Maine it’s impossible to get a tank filled unless you want to wait a month to get it back. Even in Portland or Bangor. You’ll just have to call around and see if you can find someone to fill it for you. :frowning: