Buying a keg setup - ADVICE?

I’m finally about to buy my first keg set. I am looking for you all’s advice on what else I might need to get started other than what comes in the kit.

The kit includes:

• New 5 gallon ball lock corny keg

• Dual gauge regulator

• 5’ Gas Line Assembly with MFL Fitting

• Pressure Relief Valve

• 4 1/8" Faucet Shank Assembly with MFL Disconnect

• Faucet and faucet wrench

I’m buying a CO2 tank from my LHBS. Are things like keg lube and extra O-rings necessary when you’re buying a new keg? Are there any things that you guys wished you had when you first started kegging?

Thank you!

Keg lube is a must and an extra set of o rings is nice…the one thing i always wanted was more kegs :grinning:

1 Like

+1 to @uncdeo post. What are you using to house your keg? You may want more beer line too as 5ft tends to be a little short and causes unwanted foaming. Perlick faucets are the way to go IMHO if your budget allows. Keep an eye out for keg sales or Craigslist. I have 5 that I bought used and all have been holding up for 4+ years with a little maintenance, changing o-rings mainly.

1 Like

I don’t keg but read about it just in case it happens. One major problem is foamy pours from the beer line being too short. Start with a 12’ line and shorten if needed after the first keg is ready.

2 Likes

Once I get the hang of kegging I’m sure I’ll buy more! In the future, can I add more gas connections to a basic dual gauge regulator? Are gauge guards actually useful?

@brewmanchu I have a standard, newish fridge that I’ll be using. I planned on buying a Perlick faucet. Whats the best one to get? Chrome, Stainless, or Brass? I like the idea of stainless.

1 Like

You can buy different manifolds depending on number of kegs you plan on having. I use a dual gauge regulator with a 4way manifold so I can serve 4 and pressurize another at same time. I also run the perlick 525ss faucets which are awesome but I think there is a newer model available now

1 Like

Not sure why people say you need keg lube. I’ve got 10 kegs all used . Change d the o rings been kegging for 5 year s never a keg leak. Disconnect have worn out though. I would spend the extra money for two kegs minimum.

I put the perlick flow control faucets on my kegerator so I can pretty much leave my gas pressure for carbing and then just adjust my flow levers to avoid any excess foam. I have never had to play around with serving pressure.
+1 on the second keg… You will use it for sure.

1 Like

Ball locks are more money. I have pinlocks and am happy with them. I bought all used, got the regulator from our host, have a 3 keg manifold with a tap off it (now) for transferring beer from fermenter to keg. When you buy used kegs they send you new o rings usually. I have a bunch on hand and have only replaced a few. Make sure the kegs
come with newer PRVs. Lids are about $15. I’d probably have bought a dual regulator setup knowing then what I know now.

1 Like

Dual regulators are nice. I have 2 singles and 2 tanks which is nice also for obvious reasons

1 Like

I agree with having extra kegs and also an extra co2 line for carbing the kegs that are next up. I charge them with 20lbs then put them in a cool corner. You can also put one in the fridge and tap it with a party tap in a pinch.

I have 12 kegs now. Not one was purchased new. New ones look shiny and purty but they all get hidden in the fridge and used are half the price. I’ve bought them from kegconnections, ebay, craigslist, etc.

I have 4 in my “serving fridge” (aka upright freezer with temp controller) with taps through the door, dual low pressure regs, with a Y splitter off each, connected to a 20 lb CO2 cylinder. I have a ‘lagering’ fridge that’s a chest freezer where I keep 3 kegs on a 5 lb CO2cylinder with a 3 way mainfold.

Kegconnection.com is my go to site for all things kegging. Great prices and customer service, very friendly and helpful when you call.

1 Like

Get extra disconnnects, and clamps.

One of my most useful tools is a bit of tubing with a bike tire valve on one end and a gas QD on the other. With that I can use a bike hand pump to push line cleaner, rinse water, even Star san through the lines without wasting CO2. I suppose in a pinch I could also use it as a party pump, but I haven’t.

Also, They’re a bit pricy for what they do, but I’ve really come to like these keg level indicators. Basically there’s a little orange ball that rides down the side of the keg as you empty it. The probably don’t work if you dry-hop in the keg though.

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Home-Brew-Level-Indicator/dp/B01L2ZYUWK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515349771&sr=8-3&keywords=Ball+and+keg

Extra kegs are good too. I do both 5 gallon extract and 3 gallon all grain, so I have a few kegs of each size.

2 Likes

Keep it simple… get many kegs… I like having a splitter, and have 2 on service, 2 carbing… You can switch, should you choose to “sample”… A keezer and a collar… a controller… Do have keg lube, and extra O-rings… You’ll need to be able to take them apart to clean, and should you see a bad O-ring, being able to replace it is good… You don’t need all of it at one time… learn to snoop and acquire … I’m a pin lock kegger… Sneezles61

1 Like

Me got about ten heineken kegs. Got them for free. Only thing you got to get used on how to take them apart. But down fall once locked and carbed. You can not release presure. Only once they are empty in kegurator. Double regulator. And inside a 4 connect manifold. 3 for tap. And one for carbonating

1 Like

I agree! Not to mention they won’t look new and pretty for long. Sliding them in and out of a keezer, kegeratot, etc can beat them up pretty badly.

A second CO2 tank is worth its weight in gold. Inevitably you’ll have a leak and blast through 5lbs… or you’ll run out during a get together… or it will run out during carbonation and you won’t find out until you go to serve some.

3 Likes

Solid!

A second CO2 tank is worth its weight in gold. Inevitably you’ll have a leak and blast through 5lbs… or you’ll run out during a get together… or it will run out during carbonation and you won’t find out until you go to serve some.
[/quote]

Yep, got a 5 gallon tank and regulator/tubing for Christmas after my recent leak as a backup and to make transfers and cleaning days easier than lugging the 10 around.

2 Likes

How full does a 5 gallon keg need to be? I do 3 gallon batches sometimes but 5 gallon batches more often. Do I need to get a 5 gallon keg and one 3 gallon… or can 3 gallons go in a 5 gallon keg with no issue?

1 Like

Although personally, I think it would be preferable to put 5 gallons in a 5 gsallon keg, I have underfilled kegs with no issue provided I purged them with CO2 really well. I did have a NEIPA go south from oxidation on me. It is possible to push your beer into the keg from the fermenter using CO2 with no exposure to air.