Bulk hop storage without a foodsaver

It’s hard for me to justify $100+ for a foodsaver and another $20 or so on a roll of bags just to start buying bulk hops. I brew about 5 gallons once a month so it would take me quite a while (a year or more) to burn through a couple lbs of hops.

Are there any other long term solutions that don’t require me to drop an initial chunk of change?

I don’t have another option for you, but you definitely do not have to spend $100 for a vacuum sealer. I believe I paid around $45 for mine. I am down to my last roll of bags, but I’ve had mine for about 3 years and only purchased bags once (a box of 3 rolls).

On amazon, with prime, $35. Includes bags. And there are others around this price range ($30-$60).

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-FSFGSL0150- ... uum+sealer

Again, I spent around $45-50 for mine and have had no problems over 3 years. I do only use it occasionally and for hops only, so I’m not putting a lot of wear and tear on it.

Just do what I do…open the hops…use what you want…close bag and put tape on it and put them into a gallon zip lock…call it a day.

This wouldn’t be an option for my freezer. Anything that is in a plastic bag and sits in there for more than a month is covered in ice crystals.

This wouldn’t be an option for my freezer. Anything that is in a plastic bag and sits in there for more than a month is covered in ice crystals.[/quote]

bummer…get a better freezer :slight_smile: I don’t have the problem and I have had pounds of hops…love bulk buying!

If not vacuum sealed, they will age and go bad. Yes, in the freezer it will take some time, but it will happen. For hops you’ll use often, it’s not a problem. But I’ve been using the same Magnum hops for bittering for over 2 years now. They are still a nice dark green, smell fine, etc.

Spend the $35-50 and get a vacuum sealer. It’s useful for other things around the house too if you’re so inclined.

[quote=“dobe12”]If not vacuum sealed, they will age and go bad. Yes, in the freezer it will take some time, but it will happen. For hops you’ll use often, it’s not a problem. But I’ve been using the same Magnum hops for bittering for over 2 years now. They are still a nice dark green, smell fine, etc.

Spend the $35-50 and get a vacuum sealer. It’s useful for other things around the house too if you’re so inclined.[/quote]

What size do you repackage them in? Like 1oz bags? Or do you just seal them in a big bag, cut a small strip to open it up, take a little out, then reseal?

This ^^. Cut the bag much lager than needed so there is extra bag to use up when opening and closing over and over again. I’ve learned to cut the first bag 2x bigger than needed. If you cut too small, you just end up having to cut another larger bag. And if you do find yourself needing a larger bag, save the partial bag you have left over. It will come in handy one day one you only have 1/2, 1, 2 oz of something extra laying around.

I think the food saver is worth it. I bought mine for hops and specialty grains before I had a mill but it turns out its also very useful for food. When I see a good deal I bulk and food save it, it really does make a difference, no more crystalized meat in the back of the freezer. So really you are losing money by not getting a food saver for your hops :wink:

[quote=“dobe12”][size=70]I don’t have another option for you, but you definitely do not have to spend $100 for a vacuum sealer. I believe I paid around $45 for mine. I am down to my last roll of bags, but I’ve had mine for about 3 years and only purchased bags once (a box of 3 rolls).

On amazon, with prime, $35. Includes bags. And there are others around this price range ($30-$60).

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-FSFGSL0150- ... uum+sealer

Again, I spent around $45-50 for mine and have had no problems over 3 years. I do only use it occasionally and for hops only, so I’m not putting a lot of wear and tear on it.[/size][/quote]

I agree. It’s a very worthwhile investment. I bought my FoodSaver in the early 90s and it’s great…bought it for hops, but use it a LOT for food storage as well.
As far as the bags go, I don’t even conider them to be a big expense because they are reusable. The trick there is to purchase the rolls where you cut your own bags to size.
Always make the bags bigger than you need for the job at hand; that way, there’s plenty of bag left to reuse and reseal after you’ve cut one open. My FS cost a helluva lot more than $50 since I got the very first model when they first came out…but I have NO regrets at all. And with the combination of the vacuum and the fact that the bags are oxygen barrier, I also haven’t had any freezer burned food since then, either.

[quote=“The Professor”][quote=“dobe12”][size=70]The trick there is to purchase the rolls where you cut your own bags to size.
.[/quote][/quote]

You’re talking about the 8" x 50 foot roll?

I Use a hand held food saver with mason jar lid sealer and mason jars.

http://www.target.com/p/foodsaver-fresh ... Mgods3wAOg http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300989657641?lpid=82