Build your own swamp cooler

I have been looking around for a way to build my own swamp cooler in order to be able to control the temp on my fermenter.

Has anyone found a good, low cost, way of doing this?

I use a cheap 19 gallon rubbermaid tub and soda bottles frozen (rotate from freezer to swamp cooler 2-3 times per day). That’s about as cheap as you can get. You only need to do this during the active primary fermentation.

I went a couple steps further…I got a 45 gallon tub and placed Styrofoam insulation insulation on the bottom and sides…used a hole saw and cut holes in the lid for air locks so I have the capcity for 2 batches at once. If I,m only doing one I put some extra Styrofoam inside to take up air space…only have to change out ice bottles once a day :cheers: Tank

I just put the fermentor in a laundry basket, fill 3/4 with water, wrap a towel around it, and point a table fan at it. Not exactly temperature control, and it won’t work in really hot or humid environments, but for me it keeps the temperature in the mid 60s, and it probably triples the thermal mass to help smooth out daily temperature variation. I just have to top up the water about every two days (depending on the weather). That said, it is definitely something I want to improve on my setup to get more cooling range and more accurate control.

I am also in the favor of use of tube .