Budweiser American Ale

There’s a lot of lacing in the glass from this Budweiser American Ale. I’m liking it as a Joe 6-pack beer. Let me explain. I live in an area where there is NO good beer selection. In my town, Sam Adams is way out there in left field. That’s about as exotic as it gets, and personally I’ve never had a SA of any variety that was not boring and bland and only a fraction as good as my home brews.

A little further out of town I might find SNPA, but I don’t buy that because I’ve cloned it so many times I’m a little tired of that. I can find those Shock Tops which the Belgian White is not bad, but still a sad excuse when I can brew one in that style that is so much better. I have to go 100 miles from home to find some good beers and variety. Whenever I go visit my brother or my wife’s sister I hit the beer stores and load the trunk up with something I can’t get around here. Usually Pale Ales and IPAs. So if I pick up Budweiser American Ale because it’s not a BudMillerCoors in this 1 horse town, that’s kind of sad. But this beer is really not bad for what it is. Let the bashing begin.

I have a Hacker Clone in the bucket and a Cream Ale in the keg. Still a few weeks away from the good stuff.

I love a cold milla on a hot day. Drink what you like.

[quote=“Norman”]…So if I pick up Budweiser American Ale because it’s not a BudMillerCoors in this 1 horse town, that’s kind of sad. But this beer is really not bad for what it is. Let the bashing begin.
[/quote]

Certainly no bashing from me.
Not that I buy it or any storebought beer regularly (98% of what I consume is homebrew), but I think that Bud American Ale happens to be a very well made beer with very good balance…something sadly missing from so many beers reaching the store shelves these days.

I’m not a huge AB-InBev fan or an apologist for them, but the ale is one product they definitely got right.

I heard in their commercials that it’s a top fermented ale…

+1 on “not bad”. I’ve had it when there was nothing else “good” available at a restaurant.

Hey! Wondering if you can get Good People Beers where you’re at…they are a decent local brewery (Birmingham) and I really like their IPA!

http://goodpeoplebrewing.com/

:cheers:

Speaking of Bud, I saw a 12 pack that had 3 new/different beers and they wanted the customers to send in feedback.

I tend to avoid Bud/InBev, but it would appear they’re trying.

I had something from Good People at a Beer tasting/Jason Isbell concert in Huntsville, Ala last year. I really don’t remember what, most likely an IPA that’s what most were pushing. I’m about 90 miles from Huntsville and 110 or 120 from Birmingham. I have family in both areas and when I visit that’s when I hit the beer stores and load up on IPAs and PAs. Sweetwater is carried at one store near home, and both their Pale Ale and IPA are pretty good, but the IPA is more like one of my Pale Ales. I think I’m killing my taste buds. Back to the Budweiser Ale, the first time I had one I could detect the Cascade hops, lol now I can’t at all.

[quote=“s2y”]Speaking of Bud, I saw a 12 pack that had 3 new/different beers and they wanted the customers to send in feedback.

I tend to avoid Bud/InBev, but it would appear they’re trying.[/quote]

They are trying; they have been for a while, and AFAIC, they’re actually succeeding (occasionally) on some levels. They certainly have the knowhow, as well as some of the best trained brewmasters in the business on their payroll.

Among the drek they obviously turn out (which keeps their money coming in) there have been some very worthy offerings in recent years. Two things that sabotage their efforts in the “craft” arena are #1) their own bean counters and marketing “experts” reminding them that the “yellow fizzy” is what the majority of their customers really want anyway; and #2) the more militant beer snobs who will reject any of the more adventurous AB-InBev efforts out of hand simply because it’s a big company.

Sad, because we’re also now seeing a few formerly small players turning into big players and getting similar treatment…being abandoned by some fans who accuse them of “selling out”, a segment of the beer crowd essentially punishing them simply for being successful.
Then again, the beer world is indeed a very strange world sometimes.

[quote=“The Professor”]
Sad, because we’re also now seeing a few formerly small players turning into big players and getting similar treatment…being abandoned by some fans who accuse them of “selling out”, a segment of the beer crowd essentially punishing them simply for being successful.
Then again, the beer world is indeed a very strange world sometimes.[/quote]
Indeed. The other day I was told in a bottle shop that they wouldn’t stock much Sierra Nevada, because they make sh**y beers! And there I was, ready to buy a case of Celebration!

Definitely too much politics with “selling out”. I just avoid InBev because they tend to move production to bigger facilities and use people per beer. Quality tends to decrease and price tends to increase.

[quote=“BrewingRover”][quote=“The Professor”]
…The other day I was told in a bottle shop that they wouldn’t stock much Sierra Nevada, because they make sh**y beers! And there I was, ready to buy a case of Celebration![/quote][/quote]

Incredible. I’ll bet they feel that way because SN has become so mainstream (thus losing some snob appeal).

SN is still at or very near the top of the heap in the “craft” world as far as I’m concerned. And remarkably, their growth and increased production hasn’t impacted the quality of their products at all.

[quote=“The Professor”]

Incredible. I’ll bet they feel that way because SN has become so mainstream (thus losing some snob appeal).

SN is still at or very near the top of the heap in the “craft” world as far as I’m concerned. And remarkably, their growth and increased production hasn’t impacted the quality of their products at all.[/quote]

I’ve only been drinking them since about '02 or so, but tastes about the same to me and they’ve added plenty of varieties.

I haven’t seen it here in Vermont since it came out years ago.