Bucket Size for Mangrove Apple Cider

Hi all!

I recently purchased the Cider Making Kit (Fermentation bucket and such) off of Northern Brewer, but had to purchase the Mangrove Jack Apple Cider kit from Amazon (Northern Brewer was out of stock). Upon reading the bag on the Mangrove Jack kit, I saw that they required a 8 gallon bucket. The kit I got from Northern Brewer provided a 6.5 gallon bucket (I did purchase an identical Mangrove Jack kit on Amazon that was out of stock on Northern Brewer).

Is it safe to use the 6.5 gallon bucket? I initially began to get concerned because I didn’t want to break the airlock off during the fermentation process (but I was reading that cider does ferment differently than beer).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

If it’s a 5 gallon kit you should be alright in the 6.5 I’ve never had an explosive cider fermenation

On the package it says it makes 6 gallons, and I double checked my package of Mangrove Jack against Northern Brewers Mangrove Jack (just in case), and they both say 6 gallons

Then it will be tight. You can just make 5 gallons and add the extra water when you bottle instead of getting another bucket. I don’t think the buckets are that expensive anyway

2 Likes

That helps, thank you!!