Brunwater question

Brunwater tells me on the sparge acidification page to add .69 ml lactic acid but on the adjustment summary page it says 2.4ml lactic acid. I assume I should follow the summary page?

Also when it tells me to add for example .3 gram CaCO3, that’s a pretty negligible amount. My scale won’t measure 10ths of a gram…should i sprinkle a bit or is it not enough to matter?

Mashing right now…any advice appreciated!

For the sparge acidification page and the water adjustment page you have to select the type of acid and the concentration.

.3 grams is negligible. Just watch your pH.

.3 grams is roughly a pinch. But yeah, you can probably skip it.

CaCO3 BTW is best added directly to the mash, not to the water ahead of time. Also, its effectiveness is debatable, pickling lime is supposed to be better. I am yet to need to raise ph (only lower) in my short water adjusting career, so I haven’t actually tried either.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]Brunwater tells me on the sparge acidification page to add .69 ml lactic acid but on the adjustment summary page it says 2.4ml lactic acid. I assume I should follow the summary page?

[/quote]

Sparge acidification in Brunwater via acid addition (only) is not actually listed on the adjustments page… it clearly states that you have to adjust it separately on the sparge acidification page.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“dannyboy58”]Brunwater tells me on the sparge acidification page to add .69 ml lactic acid but on the adjustment summary page it says 2.4ml lactic acid. I assume I should follow the summary page?

[/quote]

Sparge acidification in Brunwater via acid addition (only) is not actually listed on the adjustments page… it clearly states that you have to adjust it separately on the sparge acidification page.[/quote]
Onthe water adjustment page yes…on the Adjustment Summary page it clearly has a column for sparge adjustment and the bottom row labeled Lactic Acid has values in it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Is the volume of sparge water the same on the sparge acidification page and water adjustment Page?

[quote=“dannyboy58”]
Onthe water adjustment page yes…on the Adjustment Summary page it clearly has a column for sparge adjustment and the bottom row labeled Lactic Acid has values in it.

Thanks for the feedback guys![/quote]

The lactic acid added to sparge water on the “Adjustment Summary” page is just pulling the same value calculated on the “Sparge Acidification” page. If this doesn’t make anything clearer, please try asking your question again; I must not be understanding it fully.

I see what you are looking at, however, mine is correct (although it appears to have rounded up from 2.25 to 2.3).

Are you sure on the “sparge acidifcation” page you have the same amount of water on the “water adjustment” page?

I had not entered the correct amount of sparge water on the Sparge Acidification page. Good call Loopie! So it was calculating the acid for 1 gallon. The Summary page must pull from the Water Adjustment page where I had entered the correct amount. I ended up ballparking the additions since my scale didn’t go below 1 gram and just did a pinch from the 1 gram for anything less. Only thing measured precisely was my lactic acid addition to the sparge water. Brunwater is looking less imposing to me now.

Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated. Batch sparging this huge grain bill wasn’t as hard as I had expected it to be. SWMBO is making spent grain dog treats right now and they smell great. May have to try one myself.

:cheers:

My dog absolutely LOVES those treats.
I would suggest buying a high percision scale so you can get close (like the ones they use for drugs… its cool I work in law enforcement). It may not seem like much but .3 grams in a couple gals of water could make a huge difference.

My dog absolutely LOVES those treats.
I would suggest buying a high percision scale so you can get close (like the ones they use for drugs… its cool I work in law enforcement). It may not seem like much but .3 grams in a couple gals of water could make a huge difference.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]My dog absolutely LOVES those treats.
I would suggest buying a high percision scale so you can get close (like the ones they use for drugs… its cool I work in law enforcement). It may not seem like much but .3 grams in a couple gals of water could make a huge difference.[/quote]
I’m on it. Actually been browsing amazon.com already. :cheers: