Brooklyn Brew shop fermentation issue

Hey y’all, this is my first post on here, I really wish I made an account sooner, or really looked into Northern Brewer more, before i got my first kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop. I’ve been reading on the forum for a while, and I’ve found some others that have had issues like mine, but no one really gave them a good answer! So I thought I’d try my luck.

I have been researching Homebrewing for 6 months now, in an effort to learn as much as i possibly could before i started brewing, so i wouldn’t run into issues. In my prerequisites for nursing school, i had to take many Bio, and MicroBio classes, so i understand the science behind brewing, thats one reason i love it so much, but thats also why im soo pissed my first batch isnt going as i wanted.

My first kit, as i stated before, is from brooklyn Brew Shop; their Everyday IPA 1 gallon kit. for those of you who know, or may not know, BBS gives you prety good and straight forward instructions on how to brew their beer. although, they are guiding us through all grain brewing in a very simplistic way…

So on brew day, i followed instructions to a tee, i kept my mash temp between 144-152. closer to 144 most of the time. i sparged, and recirculated through a strainer, then did my one hour boil. i made 100% sure i was completely steril, in nursing you have to have very good aseptic technique haha. once i started fermentation, it bubbled like crazy! but after about 36-48 hours, bubbling almost stopped! ive heard other people have had this problem, some say that they supply too much yeast, but it is a very small yeast pack, im not sure exactly how much.

My biggest worry, is that A) keeping my mash near 144 as they said, may have been too cool to yield a good amount of sugar, as well as B) their process of all grain, amy have been too lax, I feel lie their sparge, of just pouring my sparge water thru the mash in a strainer twice, wasn’t good enough. Also, when I started this batch, I foolishly didn’t have a hydrometer, so i dont have an OG. I learned my lesson now!

If anyone else has messed with Brooklyn Brew Shop though, and maybe had the same issue, please put a little light on my issue! and give me a little hope that my beer isn’t a flop!!

From what you described it sounds like your beer could come out just fine. I would expect that fermentation would proceed quickly on a small batch, esp if the temp was above 65 degrees while fermenting. Let it rest and settle for at least a week (2 or 3 would be better) before bottling.

Was this Brooklyn Homebrew or Brooklyn Brew Shop? Brooklyn Homebrew is a very good store and people there know what they’re talking about. Can’t say anything about the other one as I don’t even know where it is (Williamsburgish?) and only heard whispers of something shady going on (again… Williamsburg.)
From what you described, you shouldn’t have any problems.
By the way I’m also in Brooklyn.
Cheers!

Thanks for that, tomorrow it will have been fermenting for a week, BBS says to give it two weeks to ferment, then 2 weeks to bottle ferment. do you believe this is good enough? I read on other sites, that many people end up with an abv of 4.8-5.5, even though BBS states it should come out to 6.8. can you think of any steps i should take to help it along and get it to that point?

@ Dimik This was from brooklyn Brew Shop, i know they are located in brooklyn, but they ship all over the united states haha I live in florida, about as far south from brooklyn as i can get haha

I make 1g all grain starters. Working a similar process of using a colander to strain the grains. Pouring the wort back through the grain to clear it. And then adding additional water.

We would need to know the recipe to tell what the ABV might come out at. The only way to increase to ABV is to increase the sugar. More grain or a small sugar addition.

1 gallon of wort is going to ferment out quick. I think you are on track.

2 weeks in the fermenter. 2-3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate should work. I would push to 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

We are working on sanitizing things. Not sterilizing them. Unless you have an autoclave at home. :wink:

I think we should also point out, when they mention 2 weeks of fermentation…that’s the initial very visible point of fermentation (lots of bubbling) including a period the yeast are actually still in suspension and still clearing.

So if your visible fermentation was done in 3-4 days is likely fine, just let it sit for another 1.5 weeks to clear and then bottle.

RDWHAHB :cheers: