British Pale recipes

just the usual fishing around. Throw me some of your favorites.

I’m still an extract brewer for probably the next couple of months, but I can fix practically any recipe so don’t worry about converting it from all-grain for me. I can do six gallon but usually do 5.5 to account for losses when transferring and hydrom testing.

Mashweasel had a couple of good threads on British pales a while back.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]just the usual fishing around. Throw me some of your favorites.

I’m still an extract brewer for probably the next couple of months, but I can fix practically any recipe so don’t worry about converting it from all-grain for me. I can do six gallon but usually do 5.5 to account for losses when transferring and hydrom testing.[/quote]

The recipes is this link are all grain
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8174
and they’re damned good. You should be able to find something you like there if you’re a fan of UK ales. :cheers:

I got this from the same Jims Beer Kit forum in the previous post:

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe???
by tfxm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 am

Hi! I think this should get you pretty close:

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
IBU: Around 40ish

Single step infusion @ 65 degC
Use some gypsum added to the grist

85% Maris Otter (Low Colour)
7.5% Munich
7.5% Torrified Wheat

60 minute boil

Start of boil: Nelson Sauvin, about 27 IBUs
After 30 mins: Nelson Sauvin, about 15 IBUs, same size as first addition
Flameout/Hopback: Nelson Sauvin, three times as much as the first addition

Pitch cool at around 16 degC and let it rise to normal fermentation temp.
I guess US05 would be a decent yeast for this beer.

I brew all grain but this hop bill was stunning with a 30-minute rest before chilling. You could use British light malt extract to get your 1050 OG. I used two liquid yeasts, 1028 and 1272, for this ale.

Stick with the classics that Youngs and Fullers used: Maris Otter, 5-10% English Crystal, Fuggles or East Kent Goldings for bittering to 30-40 IBU. EK Goldings for flavor and aroma. WY1968/WLP002 are nice for a fruity complex example. WY 1028/WLP 010 London makes a great, sulfury Burton pale ale like Marstons.

WY 1469 works great with Styrian Goldings hops in the finish. It is more citrusy but stops short of being Sierra Nevada pale ale. I do use Challenger in place of Fuggles, but that is about the only hop substitution I use if I really want an English Style pale ale.

[quote=“SA Brew”]Stick with the classics that Youngs and Fullers used: Maris Otter, 5-10% English Crystal, Fuggles or East Kent Goldings for bittering to 30-40 IBU. EK Goldings for flavor and aroma. WY1968/WLP002 are nice for a fruity complex example. WY 1028/WLP 010 London makes a great, sulfury Burton pale ale like Marstons.

WY 1469 works great with Styrian Goldings hops in the finish. It is more citrusy but stops short of being Sierra Nevada pale ale. I do use Challenger in place of Fuggles, but that is about the only hop substitution I use if I really want an English Style pale ale.[/quote]
Try all Challenger some time, like in Coniston Bluebird Bitter. It has an interesting spiciness.

Fullers use a lot of American hops now. Here’s a picture I took in their hops store last fall. I forget which beer they use Liberty in – there was a tasting session on the tour, followed by lunch in the attached pub :smiley: