Brewing the Hefeweizen extract kit

I’ve brewed a few extract kits from NB but haven’t had much luck so far. I’m going to try the Hefeweizen kit next. I plan on doing a full 5 gallon boil. Looking for some insight on this brew as far as alternatives to the brewing and fermentation processes that might help.

No suggestions for deviation but I did brew that kit when I first got started a year ago and it came out perfectly (for my taste anyway).

What sort of problem(s) have you had? There is lots on info and help on this forum.

1 Like

Have you a rapid way to cool the boil down to 70*? After the boil… sanitizing everything that touches this brew is one of the biggest concerns… Sneezles61

I tried the Irish Red and did a partial boil. Followed the instructions exactly and the beer came out tasting watered down. I’ve got a porter bottle conditioning right now and so far it’s not tasting very well either. Both were extract kits. Both were racked to secondary fermenters.

Have you tried using distilled or RO water ? In case your tap water is causing issues…
Also if you have a hydrometer to see if you are hitting the finished ( and starting ) gravity may help. I have always done ok leaving it in the primary for two weeks, and I don’t bother any more with a secondary I just bottle or keg.
I am sure the guys on here with way more experience than I may have some suggestions. But as long as the kits aren’t sitting around for months before you brew it and the yeast is good you should end up with good beer from the kits.

1 Like

I suggest you try the Caribou Slobber extract kit from our host, with RO water from the supermarket…it’s a very forgiving kit.
I second the idea of getting a hydrometer, an easy way to measure the specific gravity, which may give some insight into the “watered down” perception that you’ve had.

Keep trying, it’s worth it when you make that first good beer…which will lead to your first great beer eventually.

1 Like

As far as the Hefeweizen kit goes, that style really benefits from good temperature control also. Google swamp cooler for brewing temperature control. Depending on what taste you’re going for, temperature plays a role, higher temps accentuate banana/ bubble gum, lower temps accentuate clove flavors, but I like to keep it in the low to mid 60’s* F initially for either.

2 Likes

+1 to controlling temps.

I brewed this before I had temp control, and the fermentation was… vigorous.

I smartly had the bucket in a sink, and the lid was not completely tight, so it just popped open and barfed krausen into the sink rather than blowing the lid completely. This subsided after 8-12 hours so I refastened the lid and wiped down the outside of the bucket.

After bottling and conditioning it was delicious.

1 Like

I have that beer kegged. It is almost gone and it is fantastic. Smooth, almost creamy. What are you using for water if, as it sounds, you haven’t had much luck? I have been brewing for about 7 years now and have had 1 batch that I just didn’t care for. For me, the extract recipes seem to get progressively better with time. The BIAB beers that I make are ready quicker.

1 Like

Try different yeast and do full boil like 5.5 gall water and steap your grains in 2 gall water. Than add the 2 gall wort. So ya end up with 7.5 gall wort. End boil you end up with 5.5 gal. Due to boil off. Late addition of lme. Might help as well. The ro water might help. But with extract brewing. Most your work is done with the lme and dme. Try to change your hop schedule. And do dry hoping. But most importantly dont give up its a fun hobby beer brewing. Good luck

2 Likes