Brewing Stout With Chicory?

I was in my local coffee shop the other day and they are now selling 64 oz. Growlers and 32 oz. bottles of Chicory coffee. I had never heard of this before and I enquired the owner who mixed me up a free sample and it has a great earthy taste that comes from a root that is harvested like a sugar beet. I think would be great in a stout and I plan on trying to brew with it.

It is not concentrated so by my math I figure I would need 96 oz. (12 cups) of the chicory coffee to add to the 5 Gallons of Dry Irish Stout (NB Extract Kit) I have currently in secondary. I would like to add it when bottling, so I have a question for the experts out there:

Does it need to be boiled to sterilize? It is cold brewed and has not ever been heated. If I do heat it I’m afraid it will kill the great taste of the coffee. And that brings up another question, do I still go with the 2 cups water/ 3/4 cup priming sugar boiled solution? Or do I just add the priming sugar in with the coffee? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You can do a cold press with the coffee and add it to the bottling bucket. Put the coffee in the bucket first then add your beer and priming sugar.

You shouldn’t have to sanitize the coffee. Between the alcohol and the oils from the coffee it should be just fine.

[quote=“TheNerdyGnome”]You can do a cold press with the coffee and add it to the bottling bucket. Put the coffee in the bucket first then add your beer and priming sugar.

You shouldn’t have to sanitize the coffee. Between the alcohol and the oils from the coffee it should be just fine.[/quote]

this. Google the mixture, but I believe its 2 tbspn of ground coffee per cup of water, stick it in the fridge for 2 days, pour through a filter. Dogfish makes a chicory stout thats great if you like the flavor.

also, if you really want to know how much of the extract to add, pull an 8oz sample of your beer before bottling kegging and after cold-infusing the coffee. Split the 8oz into 4 2-oz samples, and dose each with an increasing amount of the coffee extract. Have a few tasters (and you) pick the dosage you like, and scale it up to your batch size.

“Luzianne” brand coffee comes with chicory already in it…Iffn’ ya’ want to try some coffee that way.
It’s pretty tasty!