Brew with. Harvested yeast

Tuesday. Brew day. Gonna do the cherrie ale. But gonna use the. Yeast i did collect. After few brew sessions. Got about. 3 mason jars with. Collected yeast. Plan to use a fresh yeast starter. And the collected yeast. Plan the beer for a 1.067. Grav. Brew. But now i am kind of nervous. The collected yeast look good. But. How can i check its good to use gonna make a small starter sunday. With the collected yeast

1 Like

The only saved yeast that gave me trouble starting was a sa04 that was old 6months. Here is an idea I have been thinking about. Since you will have plenty of yeast instead of a starter just sprinkle some DME or corn sugar in your jar and see if it starts fermenting. Slot of times when I warm the jars to room temp I see activity without adding anything.

2 Likes

If your starter ferments you’ll know your yeast is viable. As long as you practiced good sanitation when collecting and storing it you should be fine.

So here it is. Maybe bumb question. Say i harvest a yeast from a imperial ale. Now want to brew a beer with german hops can i use the same harvested yeast because the yeast has some hops flav from a other brew

Doubtful you’d get much flavor or aroma from spent hops matter.

Having said tthat, this is the reason that I bag my hops both in the boil and when I DH. I generally harvest all my yeast slurry and I like it to be clean and free of hop debris. I use paint strainer bags for hops.

1 Like