Brew extract kits

When the boil has finished to help it cool quicker can i transfer it into a fermentation vessel with some ice at the bottom.

Has anybody else tried to put ice in the wort to cool it

With partial boil, you only end up with 2 to 2.5 gallons or volume to cool. With a short ice batch and topping off with cold water, it really cools off very fast.

and no I have never used ice. Not saying that it wouldn’t work, just have had it come to that.

There’s info out there saying not to use Ice directly in the wort it can contain bad stuff.

You could boil some water, cool it and freeze it yourself to make a sanitary ice block.

But, many use straight tap water in the partial boil with no issues. So, I don’t see a need to boil it. Just make sure the source if the ice is as clean as possible.

Commercial ice machines, bars/restaurants can be very dirty places. If you have a home ice machine, clean the bucket before running the ice maker.

Bagged ice from the store? May be as dirty as a bar/restaurant. I have not heard any reports on it. I guess you could melt some and send it in for a test.