Brew Dogs TV show

On a recent trans-Atlantic flight I was introduced to the Brew Dogs TV show on the inflight entertainment.

Needless to say I was entertained! Since then I have decided to watch earlier seasons and shows. One thing I fine myself questioning is their methods and continuous success in brewing. I often wonder if they are brewing an alternate brew behind the scenes that everyone is trying when they release it to public opinion.

Several thing that make me question this is their repeated sanitation violations. As a new brewer I religiously sanitize everything that comes in contact with my wort after the boil. Where as the brew dogs grab a spoon off the table taste, try, stick their fingers in it, and so forth.

With all the strong camps about oxidizing, the brew dogs seem to repeatedly violate this issue. I especially wondered about the open cask fermenting they utilized in their season 1 San Francisco brew.

Regardless I enjoy the show, find it comical and interesting to watch. I am always taking notes when they list the top 5 craft breweries for the host city, and top 5 craft brewery restaurants to visit on my travels.

Any other watchers and opinions out there?

Larry

Can’t stand the show.

No problem with open fermentation is it’s done correctly. Here’s a pic of Sierra Nevada fermenting kellerweiss…

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/Beer%20Camp/DSCN0483.jpg.html

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/Beer%20Camp/DSCN0484.jpg.html

I’ve seen several episodes and they’re entertaining, but pretty much the same thing with a slightly different twist every time. Shockingly, the crowd never votes to “dump it” at the end :roll: .

The top 5 lists are helpful though if you’re traveling to one of the cities they’ve visited.

I enjoy the show purely as entertainment. I would never recommend it as a tutorial on how to brew. I don’t think they mean to be taken that way.

Out of curiosity, what airline had this on in-flight entertainment? AA never had any TV shows that interesting on my trips to Europe this year.

The number one reason why I suspect they brew things on the side is that they ALWAYS HAVE ENOUGH BEER FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE. Highly unlikely if only brewing 5 gallons.

I will say that I find the show entertaining to the extent that those guys are out there.

I consider it a nice ‘visual romp’ through a city. While not too interesting on the brewing end, since the situations they create are clearly for sensationalism, the insight into the local beer scene is what I enjoy.

BTV also did an episode on open fermentation. Having seen that prevented me from panicking that time when my Hefe blew the lid off my bucket, and I didn’t notice for 6 hours or so… :roll:

I’ve only seen 2 Brew Dogs episodes, including the one with open fermentation. They converted a used barrel into an open fermenter, which seemed like genius. That is, until the genius went and stood in it with bare feet; he just pulled the socks off and jumped in. Grossed me right out. Why would you do that?

Very soon I’m going to do an open ferment in a pail of Bav-Wiez. I did one years ago but lost my notes, but I remember it turned out fine. I believe I covered it until the surface was creamy, and then took the lid away.

[quote=“JMcK”]BTV also did an episode on open fermentation. Having seen that prevented me from panicking that time when my Hefe blew the lid off my bucket, and I didn’t notice for 6 hours or so… :roll:

I’ve only seen 2 Brew Dogs episodes, including the one with open fermentation. They converted a used barrel into an open fermenter, which seemed like genius. That is, until the genius went and stood in it with bare feet; he just pulled the socks off and jumped in. Grossed me right out. Why would you do that?[/quote]

You would have loved the one at Sam Adams where they two of them and Jim Koch got INTO the open fermenter like they were chillin’ in a hot tub.

As someone said above it’s a cool to get insights into the cities’ local brew scene, the brewing is over the top sensationalism.

I agree. This show would not be at all out of place on The Travel Channel.

[quote=“JMcK”]BTV also did an episode on open fermentation. Having seen that prevented me from panicking that time when my Hefe blew the lid off my bucket, and I didn’t notice for 6 hours or so… :roll:

I’ve only seen 2 Brew Dogs episodes, including the one with open fermentation. They converted a used barrel into an open fermenter, which seemed like genius. That is, until the genius went and stood in it with bare feet; he just pulled the socks off and jumped in. Grossed me right out. Why would you do that?[/quote]

Maybe for that “dank, earthy” aroma? :mrgreen:

Its available on Delta Trans Atlantic, not sure about Trans Pac flights. They currently are showing Season 2.

I like the show, but yeah, the gimmicky brewing part is the least favorite. Much better are the tastings/food pairings in the show.

That being said, I got my hands on some of their beer, and boy was it nasty. I had four different varieties, and I’m guessing it didn’t handle the trip to the States very well. Muddy, oxidized, blah nonsense.

Its available on Delta Trans Atlantic, not sure about Trans Pac flights. They currently are showing Season 2.[/quote]
OK. Thanks. I will grow wings and flap my way to Europe before I fly Delta again.

Entertaining for what it is. Gives you some ideas of recipes to MAYBE brew (golden stout, coconut porter). Good to see where the hot spots are in the different cities. Don’t know that I’m looking to copy any of their brewing methods though. Have had a couple of their beers here and apparently they aren’t as good here in the states as they are back near the brewery.