Bravo hops

I read somewhere that these are a bit like a cross of columbus and amarillo. Anyone out there try them?

I’ve used them in a single hop brew, and would say they are as far from columbus as you can get. Very clean bittering with the aroma / flavor only slightly citrus but leaning towards floral…

I plan on attempting this brew again, but upping all my later kettle additions to get a better feel of what they offer. I think they are a good choice for clean bittering, and would likely not clash as flavor / aroma with the typical american c-hops. Then again they might not clash, but I doubt they would stand out either.

Just my 2¢

[quote=“dsidab81”]I’ve used them in a single hop brew, and would say they are as far from columbus as you can get.[/quote]+1 Nothing like Columbus or Amarillo, at least for the lb that I bought from Hopsdirect a couple years back. “Boring” is how I would describe them.

For what it’s worth, Bravo is a daughter of Zeus (CTZ…). It’s paternal grandfather was 19058M (a seedling from Early Green, which is a lot like Fuggle) and it’s paternal grandmother is 98004 (a cross between Nugget and a Nugget seedling). 19058M is also the grandfather of Horizon and Nugget, and the father of Mt. Hood and Super Galena. Apollo is very closely related to Bravo, except Apollo’s paternal grandmother had some Galena in her too, not just Nugget. So Bravo is 50% Zeus (CTZ), 18.8% Nugget, and 12.5% Early Green (Fuggle?).

Edit: Don’t forget that Nugget is 12.5% Early Green too (and 62.5% Brewer’s Gold, and 6.25% East Kent Golding).

[quote=“dsidab81”]I’ve used them in a single hop brew, and would say they are as far from columbus as you can get. Very clean bittering with the aroma / flavor only slightly citrus but leaning towards floral. I think they are a good choice for clean bittering,

Just my 2¢[/quote]

Another option to magnum, warrior and other clean bitterers, good to know.

I got an orange flavor when i did a first wort hop with them. It does not taste like columbus at all but it is a little resiny. I bought a pound of them and found that they mix very well with other northwest hops. Since i ran out of magnum i have been using bravo for my bittering with very good results. I dont think this hop on it’s own is like the usual suspects but it was’nt that bad niether. I think the orange flavor might work nicely in a wit. I have 4 or 5 oz. left and i just might try that. Cheers and Beers!