Bourbon Porter Question - 1 Gallon

Hi folks!
I have been conditioning capped bottles of Bourbon Porter from a One Gallon Kit. The bottles have been capped and sitting in a dark place and approx 65-72 degrees for about 3 weeks. During fermentation it was fermenting in a 2 gallon bucket from the start with a blowoff tube in place from the start (since my first batch of this same recipe kit with an airlock in the one gallon glass fermenter resulted in a huge overflow mess!) but during fermentation there was little evidence of anything moving through the blow off tubing. So now, after about 3 weeks of conditioning in the bottle I opened one today and it overflowed big time (!), almost like a shaken bottle of coca-cola would. Is this normal at all or have I totally screwed up somewhere with this batch?
Thanks!
Newb trying to learn here…
Roy

Sounds like the beer had either not reached final gravity, you added too much priming sugar or you have an infection. You should put bottles in a container in a cold place to prevent bottle bombs.

Same thing happened to me on a 5 gal batch of bourbon porter. In my case, I’m pretty sure mine did not reach final gravity before I racked to secondary. I didn’t have a hydrometer at the time, so I couldn’t take readings, just went by airlock activity–not smart. My priming sugar amount was ok, and the beer tasted great, so no infection. Good advice from VW though–get em cold quick. If your problem is unfinished fermentation, then they are overcarbed, but maybe very drinkable. Let them sit in the fridge for about a week(preferably in a protective covering of some kind) then with oven mitts and goggles on, open one over the sink. Once it has stopped foaming over, put it back in the fridge for about an hour then take out and pour into a glass. With some trial and error I made mine work and they tasted fantastic, just a PITA to deal with.

Hope you have good luck with these,

Ron

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/ronnbren/media/IMG_0003_zps2a4bbf2a.jpg.html

I hope this pic comes through. This was my bottle bomb from the bourbon porter. Seriously dangerous. This is all that was left, other than the small shards all over my laundry room.

Ron

Just got to thinking. Don’t mean to unduly scare you with the pic, just want to underscore the fact that you should definitely be careful when it comes to overcarbed bottles. Much better safe than sorry.

:cheers:

Ron