Bourbon Porter - Best Bourbon?

What bourbon / whiskey do you recommend for the bourbon barrel porter extract? What have people used to make it with?

Use what you like not what I like.

I like the rye heavy bourbons and a porter can take that so I’d lean to Woodford Reserve or to save a few bucks Jim Beam.

BTW Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, it’s a Tennessee whiskey. :wink:

:cheers:

It doesn’t matter. You shouldn’t use rotgut, but it doesn’t need to be top shelf. The bourbon should integrate, not stand out. If you can tell what brand of bourbon you used, you used too much.

I use Jim Beam Black but Denny is right on the money with his statement.

I use Jim Beam Black, also.

[quote=“BryanH”]BTW Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, it’s a Tennessee whiskey. :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]I thought that was pretty funny too.

I didn’t know they made that anymore…ethyl alcohol, tobacco, sulfuric acid and water, served to cowboys and lawmen in the wild west right? :mrgreen:

I know Jack Daniels is not a bourbon.

I agree and disagree with this statement. Just like beers, bourbons have certain things certain people like and dislike in them So I see no issue with being able to tell which one it is. I do agree use the one you like the best and yes, it should not stand out.

The filtration is slightly different and pretty much the justification for the marketing term “Tennessee Whiskey”, but it can certainly be argued that at it’s heart, it is essentially the same as bourbon. For most things, the two whiskeys are essentially interchangeable.
However, there is (and will always be) some disagreement about that. :mrgreen:

Lately, there have also been some really excellent Bourbons emerging from states other than Kentucky.

I believe, IMHO, that bourbon is like water - it does make a difference. I have this in primary right now and plan to add Maker’s Mark, but that’s the only bourbon we ever have at our house. A bottle lasts for a long time around here (unlike the beer!).

But I’m sure whatever you use will be fine.

Brewing Times:

1 - 2 weeks in Primary
2 - 3 weeks in Secondary
1 - 2 weeks with wood cubes
1 - 2 weeks bottling conditioning

Any suggestions for how long of each stage the fermenting process? My guess would be the max. time for each stage would be the best but I was wondering how long others have done.

The filtration is slightly different and pretty much the justification for the marketing term “Tennessee Whiskey”, but it can certainly be argued that at it’s heart, it is essentially the same as bourbon. For most things, the two whiskeys are essentially interchangeable.
However, there is (and will always be) some disagreement about that. :mrgreen:

Lately, there have also been some really excellent Bourbons emerging from states other than Kentucky.[/quote]

Isn’t it just about stubborn pride in a regions specialty? Like Champagne, Kolsch, cheddar, lambic …
Let them have their name, just share the recipe. :cheers:

I use Bulleit Bourboun

I used Rebel Yell and I instantly regret it. I used about a cup for a 5 gallon batch and it was way too underwhelming. Not bad, just not distinctively noticeable from a aged bourbon perspective imo. It was like corn whiskey mellowed with wheat. It threw off a distinctive sweet ethanol after taste. Next time I brew this (fall of 2014) I will use a much more flavorful bourbon such as Makers Mark 46. I know it’s not cheap, but I may feel the need to splurge when it comes to this brew.

All in all though, I was highly impressed with the beer style (props to Denny Conn and his recipe), however, from my standpoint, I just feel with a fuller bourbon I could have been even more satisfied with the style representation.

:cheers: