Bourbon Barrel Porter question

I am making a BBP and was wondering how long is everyone soaking the cubes? I think I could get a ball park time if I can hear from everyone’s experience. As soon as it finishes out, I am adding everything straight to the primary(no more secondary for me). I assume everyone removes the cubes before crashing. I want the flavors to be as balanced as possible.

I soaked mine for 9 days…and then added to primary for 2 weeks before bottling…it’s been five months or so…and it’s a little oak forward…if I brew it again…I would soak for a shorter time…used Makers Mark.

Typically 10-14 days for me

I soak 2oz Med Oak in 16oz Makers Mark for 48-hours then added to secondary 7-days prior to kegging or bottling. Tasty!

Is that 16 ounces of the Makers Mark that goes into the 5 gallon batch of beer? The reason I ask is that I made a bourbon porter a few months ago ad added 12 ounces of Makers Mark and found that the bourbon was too overpowering. When I make it again I will definitely drop the bourbon addition down.

[quote=“in_the_basement”]Is that 16 ounces of the Makers Mark that goes into the 5 gallon batch of beer? The reason I ask is that I made a bourbon porter a few months ago ad added 12 ounces of Makers Mark and found that the bourbon was too overpowering. When I make it again I will definitely drop the bourbon addition down.[/quote]I use 375ml per 5 gal which is probably close to 12 oz and it tastes perfect.

So you actually pour all of the liquor in the batch after soaking the cubes?

So you actually pour all of the liquor in the batch after soaking the cubes?[/quote]I steam the oak in water, pour all of the liquid and the oak in the secondary and condition for two weeks. Then rack into keg and add 375ml JBB.

Thanks! :cheers: