Bottling with the blichmann beer gun

Hi everyone, every time I bottle with my beer gun it starts off well but overfoams about halfway and I can’t figure out why it does this. I set it at 5 psi’s. Note: I carbonate my keg in the fridge with co2 in there as well. Then I take both out and bottle outside the fridge. Does the temperature have anything to do with it?

Yes, the beer will keep less CO2 dissolved as it warms up-your pressure could be rising as the beer warms up. Putting the keg in a tub with some ice should help, and trying to keep your bottles cold should help as well.

Thank you. What if I let the co2 tank and the keg sit out and warm up then do it all at the same temperature would this be OK?

[quote=“tomas77”]Thank you. What if I let the co2 tank and the keg sit out and warm up then do it all at the same temperature would this be OK?[/quote]No, that will foam up. 5 psi is kind of high. I bottle carbed beer at 2-3 psi with no foam at all. I keep my bottles submerged in Iodophor solution and ice cubes to keep bottles cold and dump one at a time as I am ready to fill.

This is a short clip on how I bottle carbonated beers. Cold keg is sitting on bar with CO2 set at 2-3psi and bottles are in ice water with Iodophor to keep them ice cold until seconds prior to use. I usually have a helper capping to bottles as I go.

Thanks for tips. So basically keep same cold temperatures for everything the whole time and this fix the foam problem.

[quote=“tomas77”]Thanks for tips. So basically keep same cold temperatures for everything the whole time and this fix the foam problem.[/quote]I still say drop regulator pressure too.

I agree Greg. I would shot for 2-3 psi. CO2 will be released by both temp increases and turbulence. Might take a little longer but less waste and headaches.

+1. 2-3psi should help your foaming issue. turn the gas off completely or disconnect the gas line from the keg and vent the keg, then reattach at 2-3psi and you should be good to go.

Thanks everyone.

Didn’t really see it mentioned… FREEZE the bottles. This will help tremendously. Also freeze them in 12 packs. This way you are only removing 12 bottles at a time, allowing the other bottles to remain frozen.

Warm beer into warm bottles
Cold beer into cold bottles
First 2 bottles are sacrificial
No Dilly Dally between bottles or co2 will start to separate out in the hose/gun
End of discussion

Have to disagree. Just bottled 5gals last night and had no sacrifices except the last bottle that was only half filled. Keg had to run out sometime. I drank that so there was no sacrifice. If you are then you are doing something wrong which is likely filling too fast.

Well said loopie bear. :cheers:

But, the sacrificed beer does taste good after all that bottling :slight_smile:

Aw he called you Loopie Bear :mrgreen:

Aw he called you Loopie Bear :mrgreen: [/quote]
My new gentler, softer self makes it alright. :lol:

If you can throw a gun on a virgin keg, and get the first bottle capable in one shot?
You got mad skills!
And I would ride a unicycle backwards, nude to Ohio from Long Island to see it.

By sacrificial , I didn’t mean trash it, I meant HMMM, that’s not right, I better drink this one.

Aw he called you Loopie Bear :mrgreen: [/quote]
My new gentler, softer self makes it alright. :lol: [/quote]Ah geez, that’s autocorrect for ya. I didn’t even notice that when I posted it and I am usually pretty careful; I must have been driving too.

Well said indeed.
Temperature really is key, for both the beer and the bottle themselves (I always keep a supply of cleaned and sanitized bottles in the freezer).
I’ve found that if everything is cold enough, you can effectively bottle with no loss of beer or carbonation even without using a beergun*. The beergun should make it easier, if anything.

*[size=85]Although we came up with the idea independently, I use a method almost identical to the one Denny has described at various times in the forums (cobra head tap inserted into bottle sized rubber stopper, and a bottle length piece of racking tube inserted into the other end of the stopper).

I guess the astute philosopher, Vladimir Signposte, was correct when he said: “Great minds think like great minds thinking alike.”

[/size]