Bottling with growlers

I was going to use Growlers for bottling my latest batch. Are the seals strong enough to withstand conditioning the beer? I have read several people talking about the Growler lids releasing carbonation.

I just put some over carbonated beer into a growler thinking I would lose some in the transfer to the growler. After opening one back up the next day I can tell you they hold enough pressure for sure. Beer was still too carbonated and nothing leaked out after 24hrs.

I used the new oxygen type caps. I definitely would not reuse any caps. They come with cheap ass one timers. Toss them and buy new ones.

Also be careful priming. I’ve seen growlers explode. They do shed some glass rather quickly in all directions. Put a towel over them while they’re building pressure just in case.

Be careful when priming. I have used the german-style growlers with the fill-top lids on several occasions w/o problems. I normally let them go about 7-9days at room temp, then put them in the fridge.

I think you’re playing with fire if you use a standard growler for bottling. If you try it, I wish you luck. Years ago in my pre-hydrometer days a friend and I used the old wait a week (or 2 weeks whichever was suggested in the kit instructions) and had several bottle bombs. Luckily, these occurred when we were not present, but the aftermath was not pretty.

Jerry

[quote=“jdwilliam”]I think you’re playing with fire if you use a standard growler for bottling. If you try it, I wish you luck. Years ago in my pre-hydrometer days a friend and I used the old wait a week (or 2 weeks whichever was suggested in the kit instructions) and had several bottle bombs. Luckily, these occurred when we were not present, but the aftermath was not pretty.

Jerry[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with the “playing with fire” bit. It’s just not worth the risk.

I routinely use growlers (with the good cap with seal) for the extra that does not fit into my kegs. I add about .3 oz corn sugar and put it in a Rubbermaid tub for about 2-3 weeks. Then into the fridge until time to drink. No issues after 8 years but I sure would not put it where it could injure someone or make a big mess. The Engineer in me says the bottom would blow off before the top would. F=P*A