Bottling straight from carboy?

Ok, supposing I have a 5-gal batch in a glass carboy it’s clear and been in the secondary for a month. For bottling, couldn’t I just put the sugar solution right into the carboy, and then siphon with a bottling attachment right into the bottles?

Couldn’t i do this and just skip the bottling bucket?

I don’t see a reason not to try this other than paying attention to where the bottom of the siphon is (so as to not suck up too much yeast or sediment.

What am I not thinking of?

If you do this you still need to stir in the priming sugar. If you stir you are going to agitate the sediment at the bottom thus putting it back into suspension. There would be no reason to “secondary” if you were going to do that.

I imagine if you just poured the sugar solution into the carboy it might not mix very well resulting in a combination of flat beers and bottle bombs. You wouldn’t be able to tell until you opened them or they blew up.

You could add the sugar, dry, to each bottle and then fill the bottles with beer using a siphon and bottling wand.

There is also the option of using carbonation tablets. I have used the Coopers tabs with success in the past.

+1 on the Coopers. I’ve always had great success with them. Cheap and easy. :cheers:

Just out of curiosity, is the goal to avoid possible contamination by transferring to bottling bucket, to save time and/or cleanup?

The goal is to avoid transferring to a bottling bucket just to transfer it again to the bottle. Seems like this should be possible, but I’m not sure if it’s not more of a pain…

Mostly just curious if this would work. It’d be easier in some ways. Probably harder in others.

The only time I bottle a whole batch is when I brew a strong beer. I often rack onto a fresh yeast cake and add my sugar as a syrup. I boil the sugar with some RO water and add it to the carboy. In this case, I want some yeast to get into the bottle. If you are worried about adding hot syrup to a cold carboy, you can rack some of the cold beer into the syrup solution, and then add it to the carboy. I usually use a yeast that drops bright quickly so excessive sediment has never been an issue.

I always rack from primary to a keg. If I want some bottles, I add 1/2-3/4 tea spoon of sugar into the bottle after I fill it. The problem with adding the sugar before filling is, the beer could foam over the bottle before it is full because of the nucleation sites created by the sugar.

[quote=“masquelle”]Ok, supposing I have a 5-gal batch in a glass carboy it’s clear and been in the secondary for a month. For bottling, couldn’t I just put the sugar solution right into the carboy, and then siphon with a bottling attachment right into the bottles?

Couldn’t i do this and just skip the bottling bucket?

I don’t see a reason not to try this other than paying attention to where the bottom of the siphon is (so as to not suck up too much yeast or sediment.

What am I not thinking of?[/quote]
Maybe you want to secondary in one of these:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bett ... rboys.html

I am not 100% sure about this, but my fear in what you are thinking about doing is the heavier sugar will just fall to the bottom right into the stuff you are trying to avoid siphoning out. I know SOMEmay disolve, but would it all? or would some or most just fall to the bottom. remember the liquid is (I assume) about 65-68 degrees, not exactly warm enough to disolve all the sugar.

Again, maybe I am completely wrong, I just initially think /worry at least a good portion would just settle to the bottom.

yes you can do it from the fermenter just fine, just make sure you are using tablets or premeasure sugar into each bottle, or mix solution well in fermenter