Bottling Belgian Ales

So, I have a Belgian Dubbel finishing up in primary and am starting to think about bottling. I figure I would be doing this beer a disservice if I don’t boost carbonation compared with ‘standard’ beers…yes?

If so, I’m wondering if a) heavier bottles are truly necessary for the extra pressure and b) can I use standard caps, or do I need to cork 'em?

TIA!

I don’t personally enjoy beers that are ludicrously carbonated, so the highest I go is 3.0 vol. A standard bottle and crown can easily handle that (remember, macro lagers are 2.7-2.8 vol). If you want to go much higher than that then heavier bottles would be a good idea.

Gotcha, thanks.

It looks like

the normal amount I use, 5/8 of a cup (I think about 5 ounces?), adds about 2 vols. Will I need to leave more head room for 3 vols?

Tastybrew only has a dubbel at 1.9-2.4vol, pretty normal. If you go higher you don’t need to adjust head space.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Awesome, thanks. I’ll probably only step it up a hair more than usual.

But you HAVE to go all out with the corks and cages!

Man, I want to, but I’m lazy and cheap :wink:

Seriously, though, we’ll see. If I’m blown away by the gravity sample when I rack to secondary (to the extent possible for a young beer) I’ll probably have to go all out.

[quote=“ickyfoot”]If I’m blown away by the gravity sample when I rack to secondary (to the extent possible for a young beer) I’ll probably have to go all out.[/quote]Why?

I dunno…good question. I guess just because if it actually tastes like a good dubbel, it’d be fun to enhance the ‘authenticity’. But, still, the lazy and cheap part is true, and is strong with this one :wink:

I’ve done several dozen Belgians with 3-3.5 and have only ever lost one bottle. I use mainly standard bought bottles from our host and recycled craft beer bottles. You should be fine.

I bottle my Belgians in good quality swingtops. Works just fine and couldn’t be easier. Heavier weight glass, solid seals, no worries!

Alewife

Good to know, I’m contemplating a strong golden ale, but a little concerned about the higher carb level. All I have are recycled craft beer bottles and if I had to get a bunch of new, thicker bottles it would be a no go due to the cost.

BJCP likes “medium high” carbonation, whatever that is.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1b