Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bottling at FG or by time

I have a NB dry stout in the secondary to open up the primary for another batch, it has reached FG one week ago. Two weeks in primary, one week in secondary. Is it too soon to bottle even though it has reached FG or should I wait until two weeks as specified.

Sounds like it should be finished and ready to bottle. If you wanted to be sure, wait a day or two and check the gravity again. If it’s still at the same reading, it’s done.

I usually end up leaving a brew in the secondary 2-3 weeks only because that’s usually what works for my schedule on most beers. Most of what I’ve brewed so far is long done by then and most of what I’ve done so far does not require a secondary at all, but I use it because I’ve been re-using yeast cakes.

That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure that time was not more important than being done fermenting.
Thanks for the reply!

You can almost never go wrong by leaving it longer. Even if it’s reached FG, the yeast is still performing beneficial cleanup for a while. But in your case, you’ve not only reached FG (which is the important factor) but you’ve also given it sufficient time. Bottle away!

Thanks Denny
Bottled this evening and brewing next and final batch of extract tomorrow on my new home built brew stand.

Thanks Denny
Bottled this evening and brewing next and final batch of extract tomorrow on my new home built brew stand.[/quote]

That looks great man! Nice job!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com