Bottle conditioning temp

Is 60 to 62 degrees too low to bottle condition all brews?

I have a stout which has been in bottle for just under 2 weeks at 66-68 and want to move it to a spot that is more like 60. As well as an Irish red which is about a month in the bottle. I assume these will be fine but I have a Belgian Wit which I will bottle this weekend and not sure is full conditioning time at 60 degrees which have a negative impact. Maybe it will just take longer to carbonate?

Thoughts? Concerns?

That may be a little cool to carb at. Once it’s carbed, it’s a good temp if you’re looking for longer conditioning time.

Agreed, 60F is on the cold side for carbing up the bottles. Mine usually sit between 65F-70F and are near fully carbed in two weeks. Although usually are best at 3 weeks.

I’ll keep them in the 66-70 range for conditioning then and move them after that for storage.

Thank you

Has anyone tried the carb pellet or tablets instead of priming sugar? I have not read much about pros and cons yet other than it may speed up bottling but short cuts usually come with a price

When I’m not in a hurry to drink the beer, I’ll bottle carb near the bottom of the yeast’s range, and I always give it some time near 70 to make sure.

The tabs and pellets DO come with a price. They’re a lot more expensive than granulated sugar. Anecdotal evidence seems to show that the white ones that look like pills leave more sediment. I’ve been happy with them in the past, because I didn’t have to use a bottling bucket (I put the bottle-filler on the end of my siphon hose). Now, I only bottle-condition hefeweissen and sours, and I use table sugar with both (unless I time things well and add some actively fermenting wort from another batch).

I always invert and swirl my bottles to make sure the yeast stays in suspension while they’re conditioning.

Lately I have "brewed a little extra so I can bottle a few in addition to filling a keg. I have used both the Coopers drops and the little white tabs. I have done this to get 4-6 beers from my most recent batches, but I have not tried any from the bottle yet because the keg is ready :roll:

what is the ideal temp for conditioning an IPA?

[quote=“Brian J Perry”]Is 60 to 62 degrees too low to bottle condition all brews?

I have a stout which has been in bottle for just under 2 weeks at 66-68 and want to move it to a spot that is more like 60. As well as an Irish red which is about a month in the bottle. I assume these will be fine but I have a Belgian Wit which I will bottle this weekend and not sure is full conditioning time at 60 degrees which have a negative impact. Maybe it will just take longer to carbonate?

Thoughts? Concerns?[/quote]

What yeast?

How long does home brew keep once bottled if stored at 65 degrees?

[quote=“Brian J Perry”]How long does home brew keep once bottled if stored at 65 degrees?[/quote]Assuming adequate sanitation, a clean fermentation with no infection, proper priming and healthy yeast in the bottle, plus good bottling technique, it’ll keep for years.