Bottle Conditioning a Vienna Lager

What temperature should I bottle condition a Vienna Lager at?

I have had it fermenting at 52 degrees for 4 weeks. I used Wyeast 2206, which has a - min. temp 46 degrees and a max temp 58 degrees. I plan to cold crash at the end of 5 weeks at 36 degrees for 3 days.

I’m assuming that I would bottle condition at 52-54 degrees. Is my thinking correct?

What would happen if it was conditioned at room temp?

In my opinion you should do a d-rest and let the temp rise up to room temp for about a week. I use 2206 a lot and almost always needs a d-rest. Then I would lager it in carboy at 32 degrees for three to four weeks. Then bottle it and let it carb at room temp.

+1 to the all above. I use 2206 a lot and I always raise it for a d rest. I don’t sample it first so I can’t say it absolutely needs a d rest but I just do it as part of my process.

A “d-rest” you say. Excuse me for learning everyday, but what is a d-rest?

A “d-rest” you say. Excuse me for learning everyday, but what is a d-rest?[/quote]
It’s diacetyl rest. Most lagers yeast fermenting at low temperature produce diacetyl. Allowing it to warm Up for a week Will let your yeast take care of it.

A “d-rest” you say. Excuse me for learning everyday, but what is a d-rest?[/quote]
It’s diacetyl rest. Most lagers yeast fermenting at low temperature produce diacetyl. Allowing it to warm Up for a week Will let your yeast take care of it.[/quote]

Thanks, I will try it. :cheers:

I agree with above. For the record diacetyl gives the beer a buttery flavor (think buttered popcorn). A d rest will benefit you two ways:

1. it will clean up any byproducts
  2. move it where you’re going to rack it to bottling bucket and any yeast that gets stirred up will settle during this time

In the future, even if it doesn’t need a d-rest, you should bottle condition at room temp. The priming sugar isn’t going to cause enough fermentation to throw off flavors.

So ferment in primary for 3-4 weeks at the lower temp, let it warm up to room temp 65-70 for a week, then lager in secondary in fridge for 3-4 weeks, then bottle condition at room temp for 2 weeks.

Would you do a similar process for a Kolsch? That’s on my schedule in the near future, but if I’m looking at about a 10 week process, I may need to bump something in front of it.

a full week for Drest? I thought two days was usually the norm?

[quote=“ChuckVug”]So ferment in primary for 3-4 weeks at the lower temp, let it warm up to room temp 65-70 for a week, then lager in secondary in fridge for 3-4 weeks, then bottle condition at room temp for 2 weeks.

Would you do a similar process for a Kolsch? That’s on my schedule in the near future, but if I’m looking at about a 10 week process, I may need to bump something in front of it.[/quote]
I would skip the lagering phase in the middle. Bottle and condition after the d rest then lager in the bottle.

Its really dependant on how quick the yeast clean up the diacetyl. It certainly doesn’t hurt to go a few days over.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]
I would skip the lagering phase in the middle. Bottle and condition after the d rest then lager in the bottle. [/quote]

One thing to add to this is make sure your beer is fully carbed before starting to lager in bottles. Because they won’t carb while lagering.

I’ve personally never lagered in bottles before because I know I would drink then before they have a chance to age to their potential. But that’s just me.

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“Loopie Beer”]
I would skip the lagering phase in the middle. Bottle and condition after the d rest then lager in the bottle. [/quote]

One thing to add to this is make sure your beer is fully carbed before starting to lager in bottles. Because they won’t carb while lagering.

I’ve personally never lagered in bottles before because I know I would drink then before they have a chance to age to their potential. But that’s just me.[/quote]
I’m sure I’d be tempted as well. Doesn’t it matter in which order you carb or lager? I need to read up some on lagering I suppose.

+1 to the all above. I use 2206 a lot and I always raise it for a d rest. I don’t sample it first so I can’t say it absolutely needs a d rest but I just do it as part of my process.[/quote]
Same here. After a week in the primary, I let the temp free rise to 60-65 for another week, then keg. If I were bottling, I’d bottle and let condition at room temp. With many yeasts, if you aerate well and pitch enough yeast, a d-rest is pretty much never necessary.
I wish there were more Vienna lagers out there. I brew one that is killer. I guess that’s why I brew lagers, because I can’t get good and fresh examples of the styles I like.

+1 to the all above. I use 2206 a lot and I always raise it for a d rest. I don’t sample it first so I can’t say it absolutely needs a d rest but I just do it as part of my process.[/quote]
Same here. After a week in the primary, I let the temp free rise to 60-65 for another week, then keg. If I were bottling, I’d bottle and let condition at room temp. With many yeasts, if you aerate well and pitch enough yeast, a d-rest is pretty much never necessary.
I wish there were more Vienna lagers out there. I brew one that is killer. I guess that’s why I brew lagers, because I can’t get good and fresh examples of the styles I like.[/quote]
So for your lagers, you ferment for a week, then bring the temp up for a week, then condition? for how long and what temp?

I ferment at around 50 for a week, then raise to 60-65 for a week, then keg and let carbonate/lager at 38F in my kegerator for 2-4 weeks before tapping. It’s not perfectly clear when I tap it, but I don’t care. It gets a good healthy fermentation, it tastes good right off. I don’t fine with anything, so I rely on natural cold conditioning for clearing. I could let my beers go for 2 months lagering, but ain’t nobody got time for that!

When dropping to lager temp, do you gradually reduce the temp, or cold crash straight from room temp to lager temp?

I pretty much crash it. I don’t think there’s much need for slowly lowering the temp if you pitch a healthy amount of yeast, aerate well, and give it a week at d-rest temps. Kind of like decoction mashing, I think it’s an old school idea that is proving, over time, to be unnecessary.