Bottle cleaning?

I just brewed a Sierra Nevada pale ale from a BYO magazine. It was in the primary for 3 weeks then bottled for 2. As I was bottling I took a sample and thought to myself after 4 tries I nailed this. Bottled the beer and the first 6 beers I had were damn good a little maltier than I wanted but I should be able to fix it next time with a little more hops, but the 7th and 8th beer tasted like vinegar so I’m assuming that I did not get all the bottles clean and sterile. When I finish a beer I run each bottle through the jet sprayer with hot water to clean out then on bottling day I soak them in PBW and than soak in starsan with foam still in bottle I fill. I must be doing something wring when cleaning bottles any ideas what I need to change.

Sounds like a solid cleaning regimen. One thing I do differently is, after first rinse, I hold the bottle up to a light and check for anything solid left behind. Time consuming, but never had problems. Also, I usually run bottles thru the dishwasher on high heat with no detergent prior to bottling day.

Were all of the bottles yours or were you given some by others? I never take someone’s word for it when they tell me that the bottles they have given me are “clean”. Even with a star san soak, if there are any solids in the bottle, it can be a problem.

Here’s hoping your problem is limited to those few bottles,
Ron

I agree with Frenchie, sounds solid to me.
Check your bottling equipment. I had a similar probably before and idk if it was the bottles or bottling equipment but I cleaned everything not taking any chances. I also don’t trust any bottles given to me by others. I do a very mild bleach solution which should kill anything that would cause problems, just rinse really well and make sure there isn’t a bleach smell, I’ve never had problems with this.

Jethro, adding a 1oz of bleach to 5 gallons of water, then 1oz of vinegar will lower the ph of the solution and make a much better sanitizing solution. And it’s no rinse.

Listen to the March 29, 2007 podcast with Charlie Talley from the maker of StarSan.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... radio-2007

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Jethro, adding a 1oz of bleach to 5 gallons of water, then 1oz of vinegar will lower the ph of the solution and make a much better sanitizing solution. And it’s no rinse.

Listen to the March 29, 2007 podcast with Charlie Talley from the maker of StarSan.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... radio-2007[/quote]

There is always something new to learn, Thanks Nighthawk!

I had the same thing happen to me with an Irish Red. I’m looking inside of every bottle too. I think next time I bottle I will be very meticulous about cleaning the bottle. Thanks for the sanitation tip Nighthawk

Thanks for the advice I will try the vinegar and bleach trick. I need to quit being a tightwad and break down and start kegging the stuff, it would probably be easier and better anyways.