Bottle Carbonation?

Just finished my first batch and am having uneven carbonation. Some bottles are perfect while some come out flat or foam over right after opening. Did I not mix well enough before bottling or is it something with the priming sugar? I used 2/3 or a cup of the sugar that came with the kit and boiled it in 16 oz of water.

I used to use a bottling bucket, add the sugar water in first or soon after starting to rack the beer into the bucket; that method never gave me problems, but I have heard that some folks stir a bit more than I did…which was never.

I do it in exactly the way Darth described and have had no problems…I put the sugar/water solution into the bucket and rack right on top of it…no stirring or mixing. What beer did you brew and how long has it been carbonating?

[quote=“AUtiger284”]Some bottles are perfect while some come out flat or foam over right after opening. Did I not mix well enough before bottling or is it something with the priming sugar?[/quote]If some are flat and some are gushing, it’s a problem with the mixing. Stir the beer every 6-12 bottles to ensure even distribution of the priming sugar.

It takes a little while, but I prime each bottle with the same amount of priming sugar. They come out pretty uniform that way. I’ll continue to do it this way until I get my keg setup pulled together.