Boiling dropout after addition

first off I am brewing on an electric burner for now. Not ideal I know it will change soon but I still have a few kits on hand that need to be brewed.

Yesterday I brewed a batch of “Storm The Bastille” this is a huge kit with a ton of hop additions and two LM additions. The last Malts addition is 6lbs of liquid 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Once My wort finally reaches a boil I turn it down and put the lid on to keep a low rolling boil. Yesterday that last LM addition was so large it knocked me out of boil and took most of the last 15 minutes just to get back up to a boil.

My question:
Am I better off sticking to the 15 minute timer (there was also a hop and sugar addition 5 minutes before the end), OR should I wait until it comes back up to boil and then do the next 10 minutes till the last hopp addition?

what I did was somewhere between the two but I also ended up with an OG of 1.100 instead of the 1.088 it called for so I was wondering if that could be part of the reason.

:cheers:

I don’t know if I’m correct, but I would probably start the timer after it came back to a boil if this situation presented itself.

I guess it depends on how much of a temperature drop you had, but you’ll still get isomerization at near-boiling temperatures. If it takes a significant amount of time to get back to a boil, your flavor additions could turn into significant bittering additions. I think I would stick to the original timing, and not wait for it to come back to a boil.

There - a 1-to-1 split. We need a tiebreaker! :mrgreen:

I’m a stove top brewer also. I boil with the kettle lid partially off, fear of DMS, to use lower heat to keep a rolling boil. I turn the heat up to full for a late extract addition to shorten the time getting back to a boil. Getting back to a full boil is 5 to 8 minutes. The deep whirl pool I keep going as I add extract prevents any extract reaching the bottom of the kettle. The whirl pool has a cooling effect, that is why I turn the heat up to full. I also have the late LME dissolved with hot wort before the addition for a slow and steady addition.

Sometimes I will short the total boil time by 5 minutes so a hop flavor addition doesn’t add to the bittering.
Sometimes I will add the late extract before hop flavor and aroma additions. Late extract addition does not have a certain timeline. It just means not all the extract at the beginning of the boil.
Sometimes I will add the late extract after the heat is turned off. As long as the wort is above 160°, for five minutes, the extract will be pasteurized.
There are different options to use. The best change I made was dissolving the LME in hot wort, for late addition, before adding it.