Boil 15 min. or 60 min

I will be making a beer that calls for late hop addition. I notice new recipes call for this to get nice hop flavor and aroma eliminating the bitter bite. The recipe calls for adding hops 15 minutes and less, so should i boil for 15 minutes or the usual 60 minutes?

The recipe has no bittering addition? I believe you can get some bitterness from a 15 minute addition but you would need alot. Post the recipe

I would still do s 60 min boil. It’s for more than just hop utilization. It helps make clear beer but getting stuff like protein to congeel and drop out I believe

If you don’t want bitter brews, back off the first hop addition. instead of an ounce, use 1/2 ounce, OR, utilize a lower AA% hop…. Part of yer" honing in" on how you enjoy yer brew. You can follow instructions to a tee, and not be thrilled with it. Tweak it. Thats the beauty of this hobby! Sneezles61

Thanks for answering my question.

Cool hobby. Follow the recipy. But tweak and. Change here and there.

1 Like

Yeah dude like the others have said or hinted, follow your recipe, but your common boil time is one hour. You MAY achieve total conversion in 30 minutes, but why risk it. I’m confident that your recipe is just telling you to put your first addition of hops in with 15 minutes left in the boil; not to boil for a total of 15 minutes.

I have a five gallon pale ale recipe that calls for only a 15 minute boil. Haven’t made this one yet and have read no reviews either.

Ingredients:
6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

I would boil an all grain recipe 60 minutes.

I assumed he was doing all grain your right though probably doesn’t matter as much with extract. I guess extract has already been boiled right?

I’m agreeable with the recipe builders that LME and DME do not need to be cooked again. Just enough heat and time for pasteurization, the boil for hop oil isomerization. More will come out of the grains with a 60 minute boil.

Thanks for the info. I will be doing a 60 min. boil and yes it is an all grain recipe.

You can get away with a 15 minute boil with all grain, but you have to be careful to use malts low in SMM. Even then, someone sensitive to DMS may pick some out, but I’ve done short boils with no ill effects. Just keep away from those floor-malted pilsner malts and anything else under-modified, make sure you have a vigorous boil and vigorous fermentation, and you should be ok.

So now me confused about 15 min or 60 min. I do my boil at 60. Now started. Two kinds of brewing. All grain. And extract brew. Depends how i feel. So you true brew 15 min. But i think. This depends. On the. Hops. Time. Not the. Mash time. Or. Addition of. Lme and dme.

Correct, it really depends on the hops, as well as the malt, the amount of concentration you need, and the amount of Maillard reaction you want in the wort. I’m not advocating that everyone switch to a 15 minute boil for all grain, just that it’s possible if your recipe allows for it. And by that, you need all late addition hops, malt that is low in SMM, and to account for lower efficiency as you won’t be concentrating the wort as much as you would with a 60 minute boil.

1 Like